Talk

Advanced search

Will i need a double buggy??

(16 Posts)
didsnbump Sat 13-Jun-09 12:54:48

I have just discovered im pregnant with my second. My DS will have just turned 2 years when my second is born.
I really dont want to buy a double buggy, but feel DS will prob be to small to walk everywhere.

What have others done?

LittleHarrysMum Sat 13-Jun-09 12:59:32

My DS was 2.4 when DD was born I didn't buy a double buggy but did buy a buggy board for if & when he got tired. Has worked pretty well. You can buy the stand on ones or the ones that are stand on and also a little seat. HTH.

iwantitnow Sat 13-Jun-09 13:09:46

My DD was 2yrs 4 months when DS born after lots of people told me not to buy a double buggy I bought a Phil & Ted and its been a lifesaver. I knew a was going to have a csection and pushing a buggy with a buggyboard would have been way too hard . It depends on how much you walk and whether you need to get to school or preschool for a set time. You can buy second hand or consider the high resale value of a new buggy. At just turned two I would say you need one but I'm sure somebody will be on here saying their 18 month old walks 4 miles a day soon! Or else how wonderful slings are which they are but I don't find it an option for every day too tiring and restricting.

Kafka Sat 13-Jun-09 13:13:06

I had this dilemma, my ds was 2.6 when dd born. We lived in london and we did a lot of walking so we needed a double, but if we used the car more and only did short walks and no public transport prob could have managed without. Bought a Phil and Teds, was great buggy and sold it for £220 so it cost me £150.

Seems so long ago now as dd now three!

Poledra Sat 13-Jun-09 13:14:03

My DD1 was 2 15 days before DD2 was born. I bought a second-hand tandem buggy and it was well-used for 6 months or so, then I used a buggy board on my single as DD1 wanted to walk more. I walk everywhere in our village, so it was out at least twice a day.

DD2 was 2yrs 6 mths when DD3 was born, and we used the double buggy about twice grin. It's amazing the difference the extra 6 months made.

Also, when I think about it, DD2 was born in the winter, so I didn't really want to be hanging about waiting for a toddler in the cold. DD3 was a summer baby, so I didn't mind dawdling a bit waiting for DD2 to catch up.

SparkyMalarky Sat 13-Jun-09 13:15:23

If you walk lots, then yes! I don't drive and DS was just 3 before DD was born so we got a P&T - have never regretted it and DS regularly falls asleep in his 'driving' seat!

SilkyDemon Sat 13-Jun-09 13:22:45

I am 8 months pg, DS will be 22months when the baby arrives. I don't really want a double buggy so I've bought a sling and am hoping that works for us for popping out to shops, quick walks to the park etc. For days out, you may want to consider the 'Revelo Buggypod' (sorry, I don't know how to do links). It's like a sidecar type thing which attaches onto your single pram or buggy, but folds flush into the side when not in use. Quite reasonably priced I think - £89 - and sell second hand on Ebay for around £50.
HTH

Jojay Sat 13-Jun-09 13:27:08

Depends how much walking you do. I've got 23 mths between mine, and live out in the sticks so go to most places in the car.

I bought a p&t and it was good but I sold it when DS2 was 6 months. I just wasn't using it as DS1 walks everywhere. I got a good price for it so I wasn't too worried but in hindsight I could have managed with a sling and a single buggy.

On the odd occasions I need to walk somewhere fast or if Ds1 is tired I use the sling / buggy combo and it works fine.

didsnbump Sat 13-Jun-09 13:31:05

I do try and walk as much as possible, and my baby is due on feb so will be cold.

With the Phil and teds, did ur toddler fit in the seat when mounted on the top. Im just a little concerned with that one my ds would be to big for it.

tassisssss Sat 13-Jun-09 13:34:44

I agree that it depends on your lifestyle and whether you walk a lot. I have a school run and so regularly lift my sleeping 2.8 year old and pop her into the double for pick up...if she didn't have to fit into her older brother's routine we'd use buggy a whole lot less.

I picked up a double nipper ridiculously cheap on ebay as it was on its last legs (I had a 21 month gap and reckoned I'd use double for a few months only). Thankfully a hear on nipper is still going strong!

You might survive with a buggy board, but I didn't get on great with it.

juuule Sat 13-Jun-09 14:19:00

I got a double. It was a godsend and it meant we were able to do more walking than we would without it.

SparkyMalarky Sat 13-Jun-09 21:28:28

DS (3.2) fits in the P&T vibe without any problems - for me, like juuule, it'sbeen a godsend - and as we're thinking of having a third shock, we could justify the cost (plus there's always a good price for them on ebay!)

Loopymumsy Sat 13-Jun-09 21:37:51

Message withdrawn

Guitargirl Sat 13-Jun-09 21:48:01

I have a 2 and 2 weeks gap, we don't have a car so walk/take bus eveywhere. We have a tandem which we bought on Ebay and sometmes use the single buggy/sling combination but to be honest DS is so massive the double has really saved my back.

jkklpu Sat 13-Jun-09 21:55:30

My 2xds are exactly 2 years apart and we never needed a double. To start off with, ds2 was in a sling when we went out or had buggy board on M&P flat-lying buggy for ds2 to sleep. Buggy board now goes on Maclaren, though ds1 walks most places, except the commute to and from nursery. I'd certainly advise against buying a double buggy before the baby is born; make sure you've a sling you're happy with and see how it goes with/without a board. For nursery journeys, I carried ds2 in a sling until he was >20lbs.

moaningminnie2020 Sat 13-Jun-09 23:02:00

I have a 21 month gap and got a side by side double off freecycle. Then I kept looking at it and how awkward it was, and persuaded DH that we needed a P&T.

I love it and they are often on a good deal at kiddicare( I got P&T sport with double seat and cocoon for £300, not the colourway I would have chosen but a huge bargain) It even fits in the boot of my fiesta as long as you forget the parcel shelf. The wisdom of 2 small ones and a fiesta is still a matter of debate grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now