Talk

Advanced search

What age did you put your LO in a bed?

(19 Posts)
mummytowillow Fri 12-Jun-09 22:36:27

My 22 month old daughter hates her cot, she is going through a terrible 'tantrum' stage and screams, kicks and generally throws a wobbler when I put her in her cot to sleep? shock

She used to be a dream sleeper, 7 til 7, now she wakes at the same time 12.30 every night won't settle and I have made a rod for my own back by letting her get in with me, then she is awake at 4am and won't go back off! I'm shattered!!

She has a cot bed and we have taken the sides off tonight to see how she gets on, its very low so she won't hurt herself is she falls out, plus I've put pillows at the side. However my friend has just said she is far to young to be in a bed?

So what to do my fellow MN's think? And have you any suggestions on how to undo the rod I have made for myself!! wink

fledtoscotland Fri 12-Jun-09 22:39:50

DS1 was the same as your DD and at 20months we have just taken the side off his cot bed. he loves the independence and has settled in really well. He takes his books to bed and after his story sits and looks at the pictures. He's got the music box off his mobile on the bed so he turns on his music and has his nightlight and is now a "big boy". On the rare occasion he has woken, he has just got himself a toy and gone back to bed grin

I would just see how it goes. you can always put the sides back on.

also we have put a baby gate on DS1s room so the door is open but he cant escape and fall down the stairs.

Geocentric Fri 12-Jun-09 22:40:19

DS hated the cot, if he woke in the night he would scream until we took him out, and by then he'd be completely awake.

We moved him to a mattress as soon as he could walk - nights improved dramatically. If he woke he would walk out to us half-asleep, I'd tuck him back in, no screaming, peace... (he was 1yr old)

Geocentric Fri 12-Jun-09 22:41:20

We were in a flat at the time, though. And at night I would put a stairgate across the hall so the only place he could come to was our room.

nevergoogledragonbutter Fri 12-Jun-09 22:42:12

2 for both of them.

Dalrymps Fri 12-Jun-09 22:44:51

It's different for each lo IMO. My nephew started screaming whenever he was even taken near his cot at about 18mo so went in to a bed and has been fine. He still wakes in the early hours and gets in with mum and dad but thats just him and i'm sure they'll sort that eventually.

Ds is 19mo and fine in his cot still so we're gonna wait a bit longer, possiblt till he shows signs of trying to climb out...grin

paisleyleaf Fri 12-Jun-09 22:44:55

We moved DD into a single bed for her 2nd birthday
she was getting too tall for the cot (it was one of those smaller, continental size cots).

ingles2 Fri 12-Jun-09 22:47:06

I put ds1 in a toddler bed at about 20 months because I needed the cot for ds2.
He was totally fine, didn't have any problems at all. He was extremely agile and confident on his feet though, he started walking at 9months.
See how it goes, you can always try her on a mattress on the floor.

Portofino Fri 12-Jun-09 22:54:09

At 21 months dd scaled her cot in a tantrum. Twas NYE. We took the side off the next day. She did roll out a couple of times. The heating tan under the floor of her room. I found her a couple of mornings fast asleep on the floor!

chegirl Fri 12-Jun-09 23:12:01

DS3 has been leaping out of his cot for months so finally gave in and put him in bed this week.

He is nearly 18mths and settled in really quickly.

DD was 3
DS1 was 1
DS2 was 2.

So depends on the child.

None of mine ever fell out BTW.

Good luck

pinksancerre Fri 12-Jun-09 23:20:50

dd was about 2

ds was 15months because he mastered the art of climbing out and I had been told a horror story about that, so converted his cot into a cot bed. No problems

Both dc had a bed guard

kid Fri 12-Jun-09 23:38:51

DD was over 2 when she went into a bed.
DS on the other hand was around 13 months as he kept climbing out and falling on his head! When he did that and ended up with a carpet burn on his face, I decided it was safer to put him in the bed grin

Jaquelinehyde Fri 12-Jun-09 23:46:37

If she hates the cot that much then stick her in a bed. If you're worried about her falling out use a bed guard (generally un-needed but helps ease the mind)

DD1 was about 2 - no bedguard

DS was about 20 months - no bedguard

DD2 was 20ish months again - needed a bedguard as a massive night wriggler!

Don't listen to your friend, give it a go.

Doozle Sat 13-Jun-09 00:04:31

Cot aside ...since she was such a good sleeper before, I'm just thinking of other possible reasons she might be resisting sleep now.

Could she be ready to drop or cutback on a nap maybe? My dream sleeper became resistant to her cot at this age but when I cut back the nap, she started going to sleep well again at night.

Any other major change going on for her right now? Starting nursery or anything, like that.

How long has this waking been going on by the way?

mummytowillow Sun 14-Jun-09 21:16:36

One big change is her dad and I are splitting up, no arguing in the house really but I think she can feel the stress? She has seen me in tears quite alot and asks 'are you crying mummy' which is heartbreaking? sad

She has been in the bed for three nights now, she fell out the first night but landed on some pillows, but it woke her up and she wouldn't go back. Second night she lasted til 12.30 am and wouldn't settle and tonight she has been fine so far ....??

So I shall see!!

Doozle Mon 15-Jun-09 19:20:51

Mummytowillow, sorry to hear you are going through this, it must be very stressful for you all.

If she is picking up on it a little, do you think it might be affecting her sleep?

How did it go last night in the bed?

maxybrown Mon 15-Jun-09 19:26:44

My DS HATED the cot with a passion. In the end we sold it as new, as he had never actually slept in it! Into a bed and fine. he also only needs 9.5 hours Maximum, so have to judge times etc! Apparently, according to my mum, he is sleeping much longer than I ever did grin

Triggles Mon 15-Jun-09 19:54:56

DS2 has just moved into a bed a week ago, and he'll be 3 next month. We tried earlier, but he hated the bed and wanted to be back in his cot. He seemed more ready to accept the bed recently, so we used a bedrail for the first week, now tonight is the first night with no bedrail. He seems to be doing fine, other than a disturbing habit of bringing ALL his toys into his bed with him every night. hmm

YummyMam Mon 15-Jun-09 20:00:58

DD will be 2 this week, and we have just put her in a bed tonight. She is loving it. We sat on it together to read stories and then she lay down nicely for her song, and has gone off to sleep with no problem. I'm on the verge of tears though - my baby is definitely not a baby any more! (PFB) We decided to do it because she climbed into her cot a couple of days ago, so thought that it wouldn't be long before she worked out she could climb out too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now