Talk

Advanced search

How do I encourage sharing? Tips needed

(6 Posts)
plonker Fri 12-Jun-09 13:30:00

My dd3 is absolutely awful at sharing. What's ours in hers and what's hers in her own hmm

Now, she is at that classic age (almost 2yo) and I know that 2yo's are notoriously bad at sharing, but really, dd is utterly ridiculous!

She will happily share whatever others are eating/playing with etc but let them touch her stuff and jeez, the whole world knows about it - she screams, howls and tantrums ...it's not a pretty sight!

How do I encourage her to share with her sisters and with other children?

There must be someway of helping her to learn. I do not want a Spoilt Brat!

Blu Fri 12-Jun-09 13:39:27

I think it's impossible to get a 2 yo to understand the concept of sharing.

But DS was looked after by a woman who had a child of exactly the same age, so to prevent day-long misery, we taught them both to take turns.

We did this by setting up a situation with a neutral toy, belonging to neither, and not something that was a current passion of either. Gave it to one, saying 'your turn'. Then said 'give it to B, B's turn', and whisked it away and into B's care. then very quickly reversed the process, making a game of it, each time saying 'A or B's turn'. It was important to make the turns v v quick so that they got the idea that the idea of a 'turn' is that you don't lose it for 'eve-RRRRRRRR wahhhhHHHHH', and you will get it back - so not the end of the world.

It did work, but not sure all children would be so biddable over it at 2!

plonker Fri 12-Jun-09 13:44:31

"I think it's impossible to get a 2 yo to understand the concept of sharing."

What?!!!!!
<puts fingers in ears>
la la la la la la la la la ...I can't hear you ...la la la la la la la

gigglewitch Fri 12-Jun-09 13:49:55

she is lovely, plonker.
Meet up with us again and we will put our spoilt lovely number threes together and wait for the fur to fly grin

No, seriously, as the youngest of three, and as you know in our case then only girl, they know that the bigger ones can / will outwit them and so resort to being very possessive...
We also do lots of "turn taking" - well it's the nearest we can get to sharing. Ds2 is the most generous sharing child I've ever seen - whereas the other two are most certainly not. Oh, and anything pink is DD's. End of hmm This is often known as "attempted shoplifting" shock

plonker Fri 12-Jun-09 14:08:41

rofl giggle grin

We will most certainly have to meet up again and avoid the shops watch the fur fly wink

I think you're right with the no 3 thing - my other dd's were never like this. They were generous to a fault really, particularly dd2 (wonder if there's something in that??). Possibly this has made dd3 worse as they tend to give her what she asks for as they don't want the hassle of her kicking off, bless them.

I think I'll have to work on the turn taking. She doesn't take to it well though <sigh>

gigglewitch Fri 12-Jun-09 15:05:06

so true about the kick-off avoidance from the older ones - DD can scream loud enough to put the average banshee to shame, thus getting all most of her own way. I know she's certainly in charge of the boys. I did wonder if it was different with all girls, but sadly it doesn't appear to be the case. I have to watch what I say because I'm a 'third' and I'm not .... errr, <reconsiders> well actually I am opinionated, bossy, control-freakish blush but I'm good at sharing. Honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now