Talk

Advanced search

5yrs boy always fiddling and bringing things to bed - should I worry???

(12 Posts)
bendybus70 Fri 12-Jun-09 13:07:50

our 5year old is always in his trousers fiddling. i know this is probably normal for little boys but recently he has a new thing. he gets up in the morning and gets some objects (this morning Qtips, the rolling pin and a rocket toy) then goes back to bed, usually without trousers.

this morning i said - those are funny things in your bed, why did you bring them in? he said he didn't know (the answer to pretty much any question).

in general he is a happy fellow, says nothing is worrying him. bit of trouble at school with rough behaviour this week which was a surprise too.

is this all just what to expect from a 5 year old??? or should i be concerned??

kormachameleon Fri 12-Jun-09 13:09:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yappybluedog Fri 12-Jun-09 13:27:58

my nephew used to walk around with cds on his todger, my sister never batted an eyelid

so glad I have a daughter

citronella Fri 12-Jun-09 13:32:36

My six year old has just got out of a phase of going to bed with a (large) stuffed toy up his pyjama top. He has been obsessed with "boobies".
Last night I also removed a car, a book, stones and lego from his bed for his own safety (sharp edges)but he assures me he needs them.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

gigglewitch Fri 12-Jun-09 13:37:26

agree with Korma & co, small boys are a very weird species...

mine usually has an array of cars, insects (live or dead, doesn't seem to matter) his sister's trousers, all kinds of crap - in his bed. last night this included a table mat [wtf?] and whilst you mention it he also appeared this morning with no trousers on hmm grin

Weirdos. The eight and a half year old appears to have grown out of it. Er, well he uses books instead of a pillow but he's stopped putting random stuff in his bed...

ChasingSquirrels Fri 12-Jun-09 13:42:22

oh, my 6yo has all sorts of strange stuff in his bed, and in little boxes.
When I emptied away his "special box of pencil shavings" my friend said I would be scaring him for life - and only half in jest!

TalkingBiscuit Fri 12-Jun-09 14:05:49

Some of these posts are hysterical. I have a 6 year old and boys his age are just strange. He thinks his penis is most hilarious and he will also take an assortment of things to bed with him. This morning, there was an instruction manual to one of his video games in the bed.

You'll find that for some reason, little boys will squirrel away stuff. I never did this and neither did many girls I know. My dad still does and he is nearly 60.

DottyDot Fri 12-Jun-09 14:13:20

Ds's are both like this - they're 7 and 5. I can't believe how they can sleep with so much crap in their beds - the latest toys, gameboys (obv....), just anything they can sneak into bed. Every night I go in on my way to bed and try to empty out things like telescopes and crossbows hmm but every night stuff ends up in bed with them!

Ds2 (5) is currently obsessed with his willy - never leaves it alone and last night when I went in for my usual inspection he'd falled asleep with his hand down his pyjama pants...

Oh joy... grin

bendybus70 Fri 12-Jun-09 14:14:11

Thanks everyone - I feel a bit better knowing he's not the only boy hoarding odd things in bed...

Any hints about the constant fiddling - just ignore, but it does get a bit embarassing...

ChasingSquirrels Fri 12-Jun-09 14:16:22

I told ds1 from an early age that while it was something that made you feel nice it isn't something that you do when other people are about. I just kept saying this, mainly he only does it in bed when I am reading to him now (well this is the only time I see him, he almost certainly does it when I am not there) - I just say "not while I am here".

DottyDot Fri 12-Jun-09 19:08:42

I think a combination of ignoring but messages about how it's fine to do that but not when we've got people around/he's at other people's houses... hmm grin

fadingfast Fri 12-Jun-09 22:54:12

I always say to DS (4.9) "have you lost something?" when his hand is down his pants (usually while watching tv). That seems to be enough to make him realise he is doing it and stop. I don't think there's any harm in saying that it's private and he should only do it when he's on his own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now