Talk

Advanced search

Help!!!!!

(13 Posts)
Hayleyw Fri 12-Jun-09 09:18:09

Hi guys, I really hope someone can help me here, My 1 yr old daughter constantly chews her cot to the point it actually looks like a puppy has had a go at it!! She pulls off the plastic sheild that ate on there even the ones the cot was built with, im really worried she is going to get splinters soon, has anyone else had this problem?? I really dont know what else to do.

msdevine Fri 12-Jun-09 09:43:33

oh sounds familiar my daughter has something the docter refers to as Apeaka ( not sure of spelling)

She knaws on wood (side of bed all knawed)

She also tries to eat chalk, dried paint, stones and dirt.

They gave her blood dests to make sure she was not iron defficient, she is not he says she should grow out of it.

At one year it may be because of teething though, does she eat other strange things?

it is worrying when they get a mouthful of something not edible. Not really sure what to suggest about the cot.

We went on holiday 2 christmas's ago we got a call after leaving the villa saying there were knaw marks all over the bunk bed and they were going to have to replace it LOL!!!! quite embarassing cant take her anywhere.

ShowOfHands Fri 12-Jun-09 09:46:07

Pica

Might be worth checking she's not anaemic which is unlikely. Is probably teething. Not sure what you could do about it though.

ShowOfHands Fri 12-Jun-09 09:47:05

Xylophagia

Specific to eating wood...

Hayleyw Fri 12-Jun-09 09:51:25

The thing is i dont actually think she is eating it just chewing it!!

msdevine Fri 12-Jun-09 09:56:30

must be teething then.

msdevine Fri 12-Jun-09 09:58:26

maybe you could put that stuff you get from the doctors that stops children sucking their thums/fingers it tastes horrible along the side of the cot.

She deff would not continue the chewing after tasting it.xx

Hayleyw Fri 12-Jun-09 09:59:27

Yeah thats an idea lol, didnt know you could get that!

msdevine Fri 12-Jun-09 10:02:43

yeah my mum put it all over my finger when i was little every day as i was deforming my finger my sucking it so much...LOL

I think thats a really good idea cant believe i only just though of it.

I will be taking my own advice and putting it along my dd bunk bed. Also on my sons fingers as he keeps biting his nails

Hayleyw Fri 12-Jun-09 10:07:13

Do i just go and ask the doc for it?

msdevine Fri 12-Jun-09 10:30:29

i assume so or ask at the chemist.

Hayleyw Fri 12-Jun-09 10:32:49

Ok will speak to the Chemist today. thanks everyone. x

Timbuktu Fri 12-Jun-09 10:43:35

Ikea do this:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80117591

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now