Talk

Advanced search

If your 10 / 11 month old wakes up AFTER 6am.....

(21 Posts)
BiscuitStuffer Wed 10-Jun-09 14:36:52

What time do they have their nap(s) in the day and how long do they sleep for???

Umlellala Wed 10-Jun-09 14:46:06

Well, mine doesn't usually. 4.40am this morning shock

but yesterday and the day before he woke at about 6.15. He'd had one nap of 20-40mins around 10/11ish and gone to bed before 6pm. Think early bedtime helps mine. Weirdly.

(btw he doesn't sleep through but goes back to sleep v easily when he wakes)

BiscuitStuffer Wed 10-Jun-09 15:07:06

Were the naps significantly shorter than his usual?

Umlellala Wed 10-Jun-09 15:12:01

Not really - sometimes an hour. I find if he has an afternoon nap, I can't get him to bed til 7 or 8ish, And then he STILL wakes up early, so might as well get my evenings...

Dd used to go to bed much later at this age but then we used to be able to go back to bed at 6ish for the morning and not get up til 9.30 envy

What's yours up to?

BiscuitStuffer Wed 10-Jun-09 19:45:06

Mmmm. Mine has quick half an hour at 10ish and then 1 to 1.5 hours waking up by 3pm latest and then goes down whatever time I put him there (6:30pm tonight) without any fuss at all. He wakes 5 to 5:30ish but doesn't seem to have finished sleeping hmm

Roscat Wed 10-Jun-09 21:10:54

I had sleep issues with my ds, early waking was the last problem to be solved but we were more or less ok by 11months. I found this website babysleepanswers.co.uk very helpful. They have an online forum so you can get ongoing help & advice.
They would have said that a baby of that age needs just over 13hrs slep in a 24hr period so I'm not totally surprised your ds is waking early, though your routine sounds very good. Maybe try putting him to bed a little later? We used to do bed at 7.30. The other thing that helped us was not to give the morning feed until at least 6a.m. That gave him less incentive to wake up and once he was waking at 6, I moved the morning feed to 6.15.
Hope that helps, and good luck x

Umlellala Wed 10-Jun-09 21:31:17

V envy of your long nap - mine will sometimes have one but no regular routine there.

My ds is SO similar to yours though... Is it dark at 5am? Cos I find it hard to get him back to sleep cos sun is streaming through... am hoping to get blackout blind for our room soon (or pray for him to pay attention to cbeebies grin)

I always thought people were mad putting their kids to bed so early, but honestly, I need my evenings more than my mornings (and cos dh wakes at 6, the kids wake up anyway)

BiscuitStuffer Wed 10-Jun-09 22:32:19

I am very lucky in lots of ways I know!

The half hour nap in the morning is only because he wakes so early. on the odd occasion when he hasn't, then he's just had the one lunch time nap but still wakes early the following morning.

I have managed to get him in to bed by 6:30 tonight, so at the very least, hopefully he'll be happy when he wakes, whatever time that is!

Pheebe Thu 11-Jun-09 08:19:25

DS2 is a mega sleeper. He's 19 months now but at 10/11 months he would be in bed asleep before 7 most nights and up between 7 and 8 the next morning. Generally back in bed between 9 and 10 for an hour or so and then again after lunch for another hour or two.

Now at 19 months he still does 12-14 hours at night and 2-3 hours in the day. Generally one big nap in the afternoon but often goes up in the morning for an hour for a rest (doesn't sleep just chills).

We saw a consultant for a separate issue with him and were told that most babies and toddlers (in her opinion) are chronically sleep deprived and need far more sleep than alot of the 'books'/received wisdom of HVs say. She also said that the more naps/opporunity to rest they get in the day the more likely they are to get a good long nights sleep. Being overtired actually buggers up your normal healthy sleep pattern apparently.

DS1 was and is a rubbish sleeper. I beleive the difference is we have always allowed ds2 to sleep when and for how long he wants and have always looked for and acted on his sleep cues even if it messed our day up. Result, happy baby, can count on one hand the days DH and I have felt sleep deprived with him.

Before you throw rotten cabbage at me, DS1 was a dreadful sleeper so we definitely paid our dues with him smile

Umlellala Thu 11-Jun-09 10:25:34

Hmmm... I don't think you've said anything particularly controversial? They sleep when tired, sleep begets sleep. Mine just doesn't particularly seem to want to sleep much during the day (sometimes needs a nap at 1ish, sometimes not). Dd was different.

I only try to keep ds up til 5.30/6 now if it's past 3.30 or so and we are home cos I'd rather have the evening. If not, he sleeps when tired wink. Dd was different, she would have had three tiny naps throughout the day.

Tbh it's the only sleep-tweaking I do. Learnt with dd that nothing I did (too much/little food, too many/too few naps, energetic games/rest) made the blind bit of difference, so I can't be arsed to even try with ds grin

Abi12 Thu 11-Jun-09 14:47:10

DS wakes most days between 7-7:30am.

First nap 10:00am for about 1 and a half to 2 hours.

Second nap 3:00pm for about an hour.

Goes to bed at 6:15 - 6:30.

Hope this helps

Umlellala Thu 11-Jun-09 16:01:25

bet he sleeps through too envy

BiscuitStuffer Thu 11-Jun-09 19:26:47

Umlellala - why does yours wake up in the night do you know?

flourybaps Thu 11-Jun-09 19:40:43

Hi BS My dd is 12 months old but she has been in the same routine for ages.

She goes to bed between half six to 7 and wakes anytime between half six to eight.

She has a nap at 9.30/10 ish for about 45mins to an hour and then a longer nap in the afternoon, about 1.30pm.

She has always needed lots of sleep and is really difficult to settle if overtired.

Recently I tried to change her routine to one sleep in the afternoon, reulting in a very stresful week, early wakings, anything from 4.30 am! And up to 5 wakings in the night was bloody hard work, any way have put her back on 2 naps and she is back to sleeping through with no night wakings.

I find it a bit restrictive tbh as she only really sleeps in her cot not the pram but its worth it to keep her in a good mood!

peasandbeans Thu 11-Jun-09 19:48:05

My ds is 9 months and usually wakes around 6am (which is when I need him to wake up anyway if we're going to be on time for school).

Today he slept for 1 hour between 9 and 10, and for 2 hours from 1 till 3. I put him to bed at 6.30.

Often he sleeps less in the afternoon, but I really feel that its not enough for him, and that he doesn't last the day out well. The problem for him is that I often have to wake him to get the others from school or whatever so he has found it difficult to establish a good sleeping pattern in the day. fingers crossed that we wil get there soon!

Umlellala Thu 11-Jun-09 19:48:15

er... cos he's only 10mths! And quite enjoys a bit of boob now and again to help him back to sleep I think... grin

It's all good in our household really...

LadyAga Thu 11-Jun-09 20:13:31

my Ds is 10months and is put to bed between 7pm -7:30pm and I get him up between 7am-7:30am, he will sometimes wake up around 5:30am-6:30am but he will either go back to sleep or lie there having a little sing and shout.

During the day he will have a
30min nap between 9am-10am,
30min nap between 12pm-1pm,
30min-2hour nap between 3-6pm.

He doesn't enjoy my boobs anymore which could be why he sleeps through and yours doesn't smile

Umlellala Thu 11-Jun-09 20:29:35

Yes, I have a feeling this may be the case, but heck, if I don't have to get out of bed, I am happy!

(That's what my dd used to do - but 27mins exactly hmm)

peasandbeans Fri 12-Jun-09 13:14:03

just another thought: I find that ds sleeps much better in the afernoon of he has eaten lots at lunchtime, and sleeps better at night if he had a long nap (but not necessarily if he has had a big dinner).

Pizzazz Fri 12-Jun-09 19:30:38

My adorable 11 month old has a quick morning nap at 9ish for 20 minutes, and then a nap at 12.30 for anything up to two hours.

I then put her down at 7pm.

She wakes early though, but between DH and I we can normally settle her until 7am. But I'd love to stop the 5/6am waking......

She seems to sleep in the day *a lot* compared to other babies on here hmm am I doing something wrong? I'm not sure she'll sleep longer in the morning if I do cut out daytime naps.

Although pretty soon the early morning one will go I guess. It's cut right back, but she's not quite there yet.

Umlellala Sat 13-Jun-09 06:56:40

Don't try to cut it, just go with it. Think they should have the long nap in the afternoon. Dd and me used to have a lovely long nap (after she grew out of her 3 tiny naps). But ds will sometimes nap if out, but he is usually much too distracted with a 3yo big sister running around grin

Children are different too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now