Talk

Advanced search

Games for numbers and letters

(7 Posts)
racmac Wed 10-Jun-09 11:23:43

Sorry wasnt sure where to put this - ds3 has a real interest in letters and numbers and i was looking for some games to play with him - anyone any suggestions?

TwoSunnyDays Wed 10-Jun-09 13:13:28

matching pairs games are fun

Seeline Wed 10-Jun-09 13:19:59

How old is he?

racmac Wed 10-Jun-09 13:57:41

3 1/2

Seeline Wed 10-Jun-09 14:27:59

If he really is interested there are lots of simple 'games' you can make up - but don't force him. Just looking for the first letter of his name when you are out and about is fun. Similarly looking for numbers - door numbers etc. Any sort of board game where you have to count the numbers on a dice and move around the board are helpful. Simple dominoes. Orchard games do lots of 'educational' toys and games which are very good www.orchardtoys.com/advanced_search_result.php?categories_id=21&&inc_subcat=1&keywords=&x=49&y=13 Also jigsaw based around the alphabet and numbers.

racmac Wed 10-Jun-09 14:41:58

Thanks Seeline - he is so interested - no forcing at all - he is constantly telling me what things begin with which letter and adding things up with his fingers.

I am definately of the camp that he will do it when ready and interested and not before - but he is so desperate to learn!

AintMisbehaving Mon 29-Jun-09 23:04:35

Just for fun I played I-spy with my kids but with a twist... use the phonetic alphabet rather than the letter.

For numeracy, Snakes and Ladders is perfect.

This kind thinking appears to have worked as both kids are doing well and have always been ahead with reading and numbers. Both are games where they are learning but will have lots of fun.

I agree matching pairs is great + as they get older Lego is magic for shapes, 3d shapes, and imagination.... however one downside to Lego is that when you unexpectedly step on one (usually at night) it's v painful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now