Talk

Advanced search

8 year old ds really doesn't want to so his writing homework

(14 Posts)
FabulousBakerGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 16:33:15

He doesn't find writing easy and they are making him do joined up writing when his normal writing needs more work. This is non negotiable as it is all about points at the end of the year. hmm

I have tried offering treats for after it is done, refusing something he wants until it is done and short of shouting and making him, which I don't want to do, what can I do?

DD would happily write it all out for him and do a better job. sad

When he really tries he can do it really well. He just doesn't want to try, doesn't want to do it and doesn't get that the more he tries the easier it will get.

FabulousBakerGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 17:48:05

Just got him to do some.

It is really neat and good but not joined up. What is this obsession with bloody joined up writing??

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Jun-09 17:49:23

let him not do it and face the consequences.

FabulousBakerGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 17:55:04

He has gone off in a huff saying I don't listen as he says his attitude is because he has a cold and is cross I have said no tv because of his manner to me.

He is back, in pyjamas and is talking to me now.

cornsilk Tue 09-Jun-09 17:56:30

I hate homework. You have my sincere sympathy.

FabulousBakerGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 17:57:20

Thank you.

I think they work hard enough at school.

Overmydeadbody Tue 09-Jun-09 17:57:28

If my DS had homework that he didn't want to do I'd just leave it TBH. If it's important he'll face the consequences at school, but that's up to the teacher in my opinion.

Niecie Tue 09-Jun-09 18:03:20

Is it writing practice or does he have to do a piece of writing?

If the later I would just let him write it how he likes (i.e. not joined up) if he is happier to do that.

DS1 has huge problems writing and saw the OT today (once a year visit). He resists writing so much that they have given up getting him to do joined up handwriting in favour of faster and clearer block writing with a view to him learning some touch typing over the summer. We all (OT and TAs as well ) came to the conclusion that it is the substance of what he writes and not how he writes that is important and in reality how many of us actually handwrite anything any more?

A much more sensible approach.

Much sympathy though - I know how much of a battleground it can become.

FabulousBakerGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 18:23:14

He has to write out 15 words three times each then a sentence using seven of the words, ie seven sentences.

I have told the (lovely) teacher that his writing hasn't really improved since Reception and he should have been able to write letters properly, separately, before having to do joined up. Because he can do it sometimes he has to do it all the time.

It is only going to get worse the older he gets and I am dreading him getting a certain teacher next year. I don't like her and she definitely doesn't like me.

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Jun-09 19:05:07

that does sound incredibly boring!
I am all for teaching good handwriting, i think it's important. but there are better ways of doing it than that. and boring the pants of children isn't going to help them want to do it.

I would just say to him that it's up to him if he does it, but that if he doesn't then have a think about what his teacher is going to say to him about it.

I would also approach the teacher again and just stress how difficult this is for him and that it's very hard to motivate him

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Jun-09 19:05:37

oh and ask her what her suggestions are to help him.
she's the teacher after all!

piscesmoon Tue 09-Jun-09 19:19:00

I never got involved-I just told mine that in that case they should leave it, but they were the ones who would have to explain to the teacher. They just got on and did it.It stopped the arguments. If they then asked for help I gave it.

Niecie Tue 09-Jun-09 19:40:21

I agree that does sound tedious. Is it just a handwriting thing or do the words get counted as spelling practice or the sentences as literacy? Can he write related sentences that form a sort of story and make it a bit more interesting?

There is a workbook called Write from the Start that the OT recommended. It starts off by doing shapes and going right back to basics. Some children even enjoy it, so I am told!

Doesn't really help with his homework though.

FabulousBakerGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 21:29:50

He has to learn the 15 words for spelling tests so it is spelling and writing practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now