Talk

Advanced search

The Joy of Teeth [hmm]- 16 down 4 to go- any moral molar support?

(9 Posts)
slimyak Tue 09-Jun-09 16:13:11

Just looking for others in our nightmare teething boat. Empathy not solutions. DD 23months has struggled with every tooth, with bouts of none teething, teething when they take their evil position below the gum followed by 2 to 4 weeks of broken nights sleep for each tooth. All the lotions and potions just take the edge off but the main problem for all of us it that those pretty pearly whites wait for nightfall to niggle and wake peacefully sleeping child. DD copes OK, catches up on the zzz' during the day ( I can't do that at work)and is pleasant enough during our strange usually 3 hour long teething parties. She's not howling just can't sleep and doesn't want to be alone for that long in the dark. Sometimes we just sit and hold hands, cute but i could live without it for the sake of a good nights sleep.

We're heading fast towards the last 4 molars and I just want to know if anyone else has bad kama with the tooth fairy grin.

apostrophe Tue 09-Jun-09 21:56:02

Message withdrawn

peggotty Tue 09-Jun-09 22:02:43

my ds has been an awful teether, he is 17 months with only the last 4 molars to go now. He started teething very young, about 3 months iirc, and every tooth has been a nightmare. Have to say that the 1st molars seemed to also cause him to develop a temperature as they were actually breaking through the gum (yes, always at night!) so we've had a lot of broken nights coupled with not eating and general grumpiness. You have my sympathy!

fledtoscotland Tue 09-Jun-09 23:10:45

can only offer support. we are down to the last 2 top back ones with DS1 and they are due soon as the horrendous nappy rash has started. I know that once the random rash appears the teeth will be through within about 48hrs but he's so miserable for that time.

Why do teeth always come through at night? what is it about the small wee hours between sunset and sunrise that make teeth appear?

DS2 has just got 2 bottom front teeth at the moment so I have all of the sleepless nights to go though with him.

ScarlettCrossbones Wed 10-Jun-09 00:17:22

I sympathise, slim. In exactly the same position with DD of exactly the same age. Each bout of teething with her has got progressively worse, and this one is an absolute beezer. And still nothing to show for it but a few dapply white bits on one downstairs gum. It'll be weeks yet. Thank god that's it after that!

I'm trying to look on the bright side as these bouts are really the only time I get to hold her, all snuggly, in the middle of the night and look out of her window to try and find foxes or cats by the lights of the streetlamps. It can be quite magical. As soon as she's vertical she's perfectly happy, it's just lying her down that's the prob ...

Intrigued, though, by the nappy rash association that many people cite. I know it seems to be a common thing, but I just don't understand how, biologically, one thing accompanies the other! Any docs willing to spill?

hophophippidtyhop Wed 10-Jun-09 09:20:14

I heard it's something to do with the excess saliva they produce makes them have more acidic wee, which causes the rash.

slimyak Wed 10-Jun-09 12:46:27

ahh, I knew we weren't alone in a sea of parents who didn't notice their children's teeth come through.

Like the idea of wildlife watching - Spring watch for insomniacs. Yes we have the same problems with gradients - vertical good, horizontal bad.

Well thanks and good luck to you all, I'll raise a G&T in your honor and hope the tooth fairy gives everyone a break. Surely she goes on holiday!!?

I think the nappy rash thing is saliva too. It's more abundant and more acidic in a sore teething mouth which in turn upsets the stomach which can lead to stinky wet nappies that burn the skin. It's a damn good job we don't remeber this time in our lives, it's hard going ( do I mean the toddlers or the Gin drinking parents? maybe a bit of both)

grin

hophophippidtyhop Wed 10-Jun-09 16:54:47

If you have enough gin you won't remember it!smile

Travellerintime Wed 10-Jun-09 21:08:55

Us too. Ds is a terrible teether. And worse still ds is 17 months old, and still only has 8 and a half teeth through, so we're not even half way through it yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now