Talk

Advanced search

DS1 (2.11) recently become aware of the distinction between girls and boys - but seems to be taking it to the extreme. Is this normal?

(5 Posts)
Ceebee74 Tue 09-Jun-09 11:27:47

In that he is obsessed that only boys can like blue and only girls can like pink, only boys can like Thomas/Diego etc and only girls can like Fifi/Dora.

When we play with his train set, I am not allowed to touch the 'boy' engines and he will pile them all up next to him and give me the 3 'female' trains he has. He gets very stressed if I put a blue top on and he found an old pink top of his in his drawer this morning and was horrified when I told him it was his hmm

There are loads more examples - is it normal to be so obsessive about the difference between girls and boys at this age?

Singstar Tue 09-Jun-09 11:40:21

I wouldn't worry my ds2 was like this for a while but grew out of it - especially when he realised he wasn't allowed any strawberry ice cream cos it was pink and therefore only for girls. wink I just didn't make much of an issue of it and he soon forgot about making such a big deal of it as well - although he still has very definite distinctions. Don't worry smile

smee Tue 09-Jun-09 13:32:49

Shouldn't worry unless there's some influence making him think like that. For example is he at nursery - do they make a big deal out of boy/ girl? My nephew wouldn't go near Playmobil as he thought they were dolls..! I was shocked to find his nursery were perpetuating it and talked actively about boys do x, girls do y. Mind you, he's 14 now so it was a while ago.

Ceebee74 Tue 09-Jun-09 16:05:08

Smee he does go to nursery 4 days a week but I have no idea if they are influencing him. Afaik, they always have a variety of toys out and the children can choose what they want to play with (we actually have a photo of him trying on a dress and admiring himself in the mirror grin) but that was about 12 months ago now but I hope it shows his nursery let them do what they want iyswim.

Ah well, like all things, 'it will pass' - I just want to be able to play with the exciting trains like Harvey and Harold the Helicopter again grin Rosie and Emily are so boring and I don't even get any trucks because apparently they are all boys aswell hmm

girlywhirly Tue 09-Jun-09 16:48:53

I think he's just reached a very normal stage in his life, namely being male! He may also go through a phase of Daddy hero worship, or of any other significant male role models. There could be an element of copying what he's observed at nursery, but I imagine it will settle down.

You could point out that there are female train drivers these days! Then you might get a turn with the boy engines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now