Talk

Advanced search

Sit-in protest...

(10 Posts)
KiwiPanda Mon 08-Jun-09 13:40:18

So... DD is approaching 6 months (10 days or so). She shows absolutely no signs of wanting to sit, let alone unsupported. Now that's fine, she'll get there in the end and it's not the unsupported bit that matters - it's just she hates being put into a sitting position at all. If I hold her on my lap like that after about 2 minutes she's arching her back, trying to straighten it so she can either lie flat or stand up (which she loves). If she's in a REALLY good mood she'll sit in her bumbo seat for about 10 minutes but that's rare.

I'm just a bit concerned that she's going to be starting BLWing soon and she won't sit long enough to safely chew/eat anything!?

Does anyone else have / has had a similar anti-sitting baby??

Dysgu Mon 08-Jun-09 14:02:53

My DD2 is about the same age (6 months at the end of this month) and she is not really a big fan of sitting up - and I have never managed to get her to happily sit in her Bumbo for more than a couple of minutes.

She too loves to 'stand' and will start BLW at the end of the month. With regards to sitting long enough I figure the attraction of playing with food will help. Have you tried her in the high chair yet? How did she react?

DD2 quite likes the high chair - again only for a short time but then, she hasn't got much to do at the table yet.

Hope someone comes along with more advice - I would just say try to stop worrying about it, milk is still main 'food' for the next few months anyway - by which time she won't want to sit still as she'll be crawling or walking!

KiwiPanda Mon 08-Jun-09 14:52:35

Dysgu I haven't actually bought a high chair yet, oops! Probably ought to do that soon...

BiscuitStuffer Mon 08-Jun-09 14:56:03

Please look carefully at the angle of the seat when you buy one - loads seem to have baby in a slightly reclined position hmm!

KiwiPanda Mon 08-Jun-09 18:00:15

My worry is, if it's very upright (as it should be) will it be supportive enough for a baby who can't sit up at all?? The ones I've seen (admittedly few and generally with older babies in) seem more like they are designed for babies who can sit up already, if you see what I mean.

BiscuitStuffer Mon 08-Jun-09 19:59:23

Have any of your friends got a high chair you can try her in? I use the tripp trapp and I would have thought that if she is able to hold her body rigid enough to stand, then it will be strong enough to keep her sitting upright! Having stuff food infront of them to play with makes a big difference.

KiwiPanda Tue 09-Jun-09 15:50:14

Biscuitstuffer (great name..!) that's the chair I want to get. I guess if I get that, I can always put her in the Bumbo for a while first until she's better at sitting up, and progress to the Tripp Trapp...

BiscuitStuffer Tue 09-Jun-09 20:01:40

I have to say - I found that bumbos put them in an awkward position and force their knees higher than their hips and squash their tummies. I can't imagine that it would be a good starting place for weaning.

Honestly - what I would do is buy a Tripp Trapp in your fav colour and if she can't sit up in it, then just have her on your knee while you eat your lunch / dinner and just let her pinch stuff from your plate if that's what she wants to do. It takes a wee while for them to get the hang of eating anyway and she will do so well for having a birds eye view from your lap. Just choose your menu carefully or accept that you need to cover your lap with something! A muslin over each of your thighs is a good start as they're washable!

PigeonPair Tue 09-Jun-09 20:33:13

I have a got normal highchair but also one that clips and suspends on the side of the table IYSWIM (bought it for visitors). I used the clip on one from 6 months, until she was able to sit without slipping down - then she went into the proper highchair. They are good because they are a sort of bucket shape so with cushion behind for the first few weeks they are actually quite supportive and they don't slip down!!

BiscuitStuffer Tue 09-Jun-09 20:56:10

I have heard that the strap ons are rather good....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now