Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How long from cruising to walking?

(25 Posts)
CherryChoc Sun 07-Jun-09 23:11:18

DS is 8 months and just starting to cruise. It took me by surprise a bit - he's not even quite mastered crawling! But was just wondering how long it took your DCs from cruising to fully walking.

(Also - when do they need shoes? I have a vague idea that shoes aren't good for developing feet, so can I leave it as late as possible, and when is as late as possible?)

Wags Sun 07-Jun-09 23:17:17

Can't remember how long it took mine to go from cruising to walking. DD was 17m when she walked and DS 12m so both very different. But they definately don't need shoes until they have been walking at least a few weeks, thats walking unaided, not cruising. Save your money and let his little feet develop naturally at the moment. Quite a few places do socks with little rubber grippy things on the soles which are quite good if you have wooden floors. If carpet everywhere I wouldn't worry.

Plonker Sun 07-Jun-09 23:18:09

Totally depends on child

My dd1 didn't cruise, so I can't compare there, lol.
Dd2 cruised at 11.5 months and walked 2 weeks later.
Dd3 cruised at 8 months and walked at 9.5 months (outside with hard soled shoes from around 10 months)
I have known babies to crawl early, cruise early and walk late though, so really it's down to the child.

I wouldn't bother with shoes until your ds is walking outside

He sounds like he's doing great smile

FfreckleFface Sun 07-Jun-09 23:19:27

Little Ff started cruising before Christmas, when she was about 10 months. She is now 15 months and still not walking on her own, so you've probably got some time left.

bran Sun 07-Jun-09 23:22:01

DS cruised from before 10 months and walked at about 14 months, although he didn't lear to stand up for another 2 or 3 months after he started walking. If he fell he had to crawl to a chair or something to pull himself up. DD at 16 months has only been cruising for about a month and hasn't started walking yet but can stand herself up quite easily.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Mon 08-Jun-09 09:46:45

It can take AAAGES to go from cruising to proper walking, so don't worry if it takes him a while. DS started cruising quite early and moved on to walking while holding hands (which he loved), but it seemed to take forever for him to actually start walking alone!

You can get special "cruising" shoes which are lighter and more flexible than walking shoes; but they are probably only worth getting if he is keen to cruise outdoors or if you need something to keep his feet warm/dry outside. For indoors he will be better off barefoot or in socks (with grippy bits if you have slippery floors).

LeonieSoSleepy Mon 08-Jun-09 10:12:00

Message withdrawn

JessJess3908 Mon 08-Jun-09 10:38:47

DD was bought some clarks cruising shoes as a gift. TBH they are a bit useless as she is barefoot at home and when I put them on her to go out she likes to undo the velcro and pull them straight off. I now carry them around in my handbag and put them on her whenever she decides to go cruising outdoors (not very often - but I am determined for her to get some wear out of them!). Her soft shoo shoes were much more practical. Or make sure the cruising shoes you buy have a buckle - not velcro!

CMOTdibbler Mon 08-Jun-09 10:41:19

Ds cruised at 9mo, crawled at 12, and walked at 14..

No real shoes until they have been walking unaided for 6 weeks according to the childrens shoe association

nappyaddict Mon 08-Jun-09 10:41:54

Took my DS 11 months to go from cruising to walking.

PracticalCat Mon 08-Jun-09 11:13:32

My DS was cruising at 8 months and is beginning to walk, on and off, at 12 months.

Barefoot works best for him, but for our little walks outside he wears those soft leather shoes, shoo shoes. They're much better than the hard, unflexible stuff I see in most shops.

usernametaken Mon 08-Jun-09 11:29:31

DD cruised at 6mths, walked at 8.5mths. She wore Robeez type shoes in the house or socks with grips on the bottom as we had wooden floors then. We got her hard shoes for outside when she was 9mths as she wanted to walk out there all the time.

ThePhantomPlopper Mon 08-Jun-09 19:25:23

DD cruised at 7mo and is still not walking at nearly 16mo.

They don't really need shoes until they are walking outside.

Bibmother Mon 08-Jun-09 20:44:52

My two also cruised for ever, both crawling/cruising at 8-9 months but didn't walk till 15 months...

Wholelottalove Tue 09-Jun-09 21:34:46

DD cruised at 8 mo, stood unaided and took first few independent steps at 9 mo and started walking well at 12 mo. We got her proper shoes when she wanted to walk outside too but ditto to JessJess about the velcro - DD pulls them off in the car.

kalo12 Tue 09-Jun-09 21:38:48

ds cruised at 8 and walked at 12 months.

let them go barefoot as much as poss, even those soft choose impede their skills a bit.

ilovetochat Tue 09-Jun-09 21:40:24

dd cruise at 9 months, walked unaided at 13 months,

fledtoscotland Tue 09-Jun-09 23:14:42

DS1 cruised at 9months and walked unaided at 13months. He was standing independently from about 10.5months.

DS2 is desperate to copy his big brother and has been cruising since 8.5months and is already at 9.5months trying to let go and stand independently (i do say trying as he just wobbles and sits down). He's never really bothered crawling as if he shouts loudly enough, someone will pick him up.

Shooflypie Tue 09-Jun-09 23:15:55

DS started cruising at 10mo and has just started walking at 14 mo. We got him shoes about two months ago as he wanted to pull up on climbing frames etc at the playground. I just put them on when we got there - otherwise he had socks or bare feet.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Tue 09-Jun-09 23:20:39

DS cruised at 9 months.

Walked at 15 months

ChasingSquirrels Tue 09-Jun-09 23:20:45

ds1 crawled at 9mo, cruised that day (as well as climbing up the stairs) and took his first unaided steps at 10.5mo.

ds2 crawled at 9mo, don't remember what age he cruised at, and walked around 13mo.

tvfriend Wed 10-Jun-09 21:48:16

DD crawled a week after her 1st birthday and started to cruise at about 18 months. She has only just started to walk on her own and is 2 next month. (She was checked out by doctors- nothing wrong with her)

acebaby Thu 11-Jun-09 10:06:23

DS1 cruised at about 9 months and walked at just under 10 months. DS2 cruised at 9 months and walked at 12 months. I think it is very variable how long they take from cruising to walking.

For DS1, we got him shoes as soon as we could for walking outside but had to wait until he was 12 months because he was so tiny. For DS2, a friend lent us some of these and they were fantastic. They are tough enough for cruising round the park and protect little feet from stones etc. They are also surprising difficult for toddlers to take off. They are out of stock atm but I'm sure they will be back soon

BriocheDoree Thu 11-Jun-09 18:37:34

DD crawled 8 mos, cruised 11 mos, walked 13 mos.
DS crawled 7 mos, cruised 11 mos, walked 22 months, so that was 15 mos of crawling and 11 mos of cruising!

Mawgan Thu 11-Jun-09 21:56:24

DS cruised at 11 months, walked at in the am at 13 months then crawled for the first time in the pm on the same day! He combined walking and crawling up until now - 16 months, when he's now fully walking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now