Talk

Advanced search

DD 22 months an enthusiastic thumbsucker - how to encourage her to stop?

(5 Posts)
extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 07-Jun-09 22:00:59

Dd had a dummy until at 4 months she preferred her thumb. At the time I was delighted but, as others have said, the good thing about dummies is that you can throw them away. She sucks her thumb a lot during the day and when she is tired of course. Our dentist has said we should really try to discourage her - but how?

extremelychocolateymilkroll Mon 08-Jun-09 11:09:17

bump

LoveBeingAMummy Mon 08-Jun-09 14:35:07

Sorry no experince but will bump for you x

slimyak Tue 09-Jun-09 15:40:36

our dd 23months is a finger sucker. Usually when tired but also when she needs a bit of reassurance. As a super chatty one she always takes her finger out to speak/sing so maybe encouraging talking and making activities might help. We haven't tackled the stopping of said finger sucking as yet and not too worried at this stage. Both me and DH were enthusiasic thumb suckers until school age. I was bribed to stop with a chart (pre stickers for everything)and each night I got either an extra story, played a game just me and mum ( I have 4 siblings so 121 was a treat)or a shiney 10p for my panda money box if I didn't suck my thumb all day. I was allowed to suck my thumb in bed at night without loosing my prize. Got over it pretty quick.
With a real little one I would try and take her mind off it without drawing attention to what your aim is. Ooo just remembered dug out an old jewelry box for dd and got a selection of age appropriate tresures together for her. It's a real winner for quiet time taking things out, reorganising and putting things back in again. There is no time for finger sucking with treasure to sort.
You've got me thinking now: a nice box of different textured material samples, finger puppets?

I think it's difficult providing an alternative to the comfort of thumb sucking without starting another habit, but worth a try when they're too young to be bribed rewarded for altering their behaviour.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 09-Jun-09 18:02:05

Thanks so much for bumping LoveBeingAMummy and for your response slimyak. Great suggestions. Any ideas of what to do when she is in the buggy? I try to sing songs that will encourage her to take her thumb out - like If You're Happy and You Know It Clap Your Hands - but she tries to incorporate the clapping into the thumbsucking! I'm always wary of giving her something to hold when in the buggy in case she drops it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now