Talk

Advanced search

Do babies go through a really difficult crying unhappy stage around 10 - 12 months old?

(12 Posts)
IlanaK Mon 09-May-05 21:15:32

I don't remember having this with ds1 at all, but ds2 has been increasingly unhappy for the last few weeks. I had him checked at the doctor of ear infections etc, but he is ok (possible milkd virus whatever that means). I suppose he may be teething, but I can't feel any new ones. He is just soooo unhappy. He cries if I put him down on the floor to play (he was perfectly happy to play before all this). He just seems to cry all the time! He has never been a great sleeper, but recently it has become even more disrupted. Even my mum doesn't really want to be left with him anymore!

IS it a developmental thing? DO they go through an unsettled stage at this time? I really have no idea what is going on.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 09-May-05 21:18:02

it could be teething - seems to hurt most before you can feel them.

Or if he has a mild virus it may be interupting his seep and maybe the lack of sleep is making him grumpy?

neither of mine had a particularly whingey stage at that age anyway - dd just didn't have whingey stages and ds had a whingy stage that lasted from 3-15 months.

dropinthe Mon 09-May-05 21:18:45

It could be seperation anxiety and I think most babies go through it!

zebraX Mon 09-May-05 21:23:38

dropinthe is right... DS2 is same age, Ilana, & could be renamed "velcro-baby" right now.

dropinthe Mon 09-May-05 21:38:02

Mine is still going through it at 16 months-sorry!

swiperfox Mon 09-May-05 21:38:55

I didn't have it with dd but am having it really badly with ds. He's 10 months and is soooooo clingy. He cries his little heart out if i leave the ROOM AND GOD HE'S MISERABLE!!!!!!

oops! (and very prone to attacking the keyboard if i'm on here and not giving him 200% attention!!)

winnie65 Tue 10-May-05 08:59:44

If it's any consolation, both of mine went from quite happy contented babies that slept through the night to clingy, unhappy nightmares at about 5-6 months, around the same time they went onto solids. This lasted around 6-8 months and they finally settled back into a pattern around 14 months. I found as well that as they developed a bit more each time, they would get a bit freaked out, like they were suddenly aware of more stuff and were trying to deal with it. It does get better, trust me!

elsmommy Tue 10-May-05 09:03:17

My dd went through a crying stage from about 11 months till I stopped breast feeding at 13/14 months. She was like a different person when I stopped.

basketcase Tue 10-May-05 09:12:54

DD1 went through a massive clingy phase at around 12 months and DD2 is going through it now, bit later at 18 months. The slightest thing upsets her and she is so clingy. If anyone speaks to her, she cries. It is horrible having to tell elderly people not to be upset as they look so hurt when she screams at them if they try to say hello when out shopping.

She has also started having the full on "lie on the floor and screech in the middle of Tesco" phase along with the reaching behind into the shopping trolly and chucking stuff out onto the floor stage.. Just keep telling yourself "it is a phase, it is a phase.."

Celou Tue 10-May-05 13:05:59

Yeah, DD is experiencing this too, she's 10 months and when I put her down on the floor to play she starts crying (although not all the time), and when I or Dh leaves the room she starts crying too (again not each time), and she's never done that before. In fact I remember my cousin telling me that her daughter would scream blue murder every time she'd put her to bed at that age, when she had always been happy to sleep in her cot before.Must be normal then.

muminlondon Wed 11-May-05 12:26:16

yes. Mine did at about 8-10 months. Then again at about 15-18 months. It was just a phase though. My theory is that the brain is rapidly developing at that stage in preparation for walking and later talking and it's just all a bit much.

Celou Wed 11-May-05 19:39:34

And dd is teething badly at the moment, so she's so grumpy. She had her first tooth at 3 months, and she keeps trying to bite things with her back teeth so I reckon they're imminent!She screaches a lot too, especially when she can't get her own way, it's a really piercing sound, do yours do that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now