Talk

Advanced search

19 month old just bit me for the first time

(5 Posts)
burningupinspeed Sun 07-Jun-09 17:53:03

What is the appropriate response if he does it again? I was so stunned it took me a minute to even realise what he'd done - and it bloody hurt.

I told him in a stern voice (loud but not a shout) that biting is not nice and not on, and placed him on the other sofa away from me, after a minute or so he got down and came to me so I cuddled him, and that was that.

I know he is very young so I'm not after discipline tips or anything, I just don't know the best way to respond.

screamingabdab Sun 07-Jun-09 18:05:46

Sounds like the right response to me. My DS2 was a biter.

In his case, it seemed to be worse when he was teething, however whatever the cause, too much attention (positive or negative) can make it more likely to happen again, so try not to overreact, or go on about it.

He may do it again, he may not, but I would watch him like a hawk with other kids, so you can get in there if he makes a lunge grin As with all bad behaviours/tantrums in toddlers, making sure he's not too tired or hungry may prevent it. DS2 was at his worse when really excited - eg in soft play, so I would just take him out when things started to deteriorate.

Good luck - I know it's a worrying thing, but it's really common.

kristatwin Sun 07-Jun-09 18:10:25

You have done exactly the right thing, i have 21 month old twins and they both started biting and i did what you did and neither bite now.

burningupinspeed Sun 07-Jun-09 18:22:33

Oh thanks, that is reassuring. I think he is teething - I posted earlier about him having a bit of a temp, being v grumpy, tired, and he doesn't seem to like his cup spouts today so hopefully it is that bothering him and not the start of a frequent thing...

He has been bitten at nursery twice so you'd think he'd have sympathy

screamingabdab Sun 07-Jun-09 18:57:32

It does sound like it burning

In my case, unfortunately the biting became a habit because DS1 started to bite DS2 back ........... (AAArgh)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now