Talk

Advanced search

question about pointing

(6 Posts)
justbrowsing Sat 06-Jun-09 14:54:31

DD is lovely and seems on track with her development however I have noticed that some of her little friends have started pointing a lot while she is not really interested.

She has started doing it recently but it is only to get my attention for something she wants: the phone rings so she will point at the phone because she wants to speak to granny, she sees her milk bottle and she will point at it until you give it to her. Same for all sorts of toys or food she wants.

Two things I have noticed:

1) She doesn't really finger point, mostly is the open hand gesture in the direction of the object she wants. She has finger pointed only a couple of times

2) she doesn't point to show me something of interest so far or to share something she likes

Is this the right pointing I should be looking for, or it doesn't count if she's just showing me what she wants and is not interested in sharing her excitement about something with me?

JackBauer Sat 06-Jun-09 15:15:06

I wouldn't worry about it, if she is hitting her other milestones then she sounds fine. I'm sure she'll be pointing away in no time once she realises it gets your attention.

I don't know much to help TBH, I just wanted to share my useless pointing fact. Apparently humans are the only mammals who understand pointing. If you point at something for a monkey he will look at your finger, but humans brains have evolved to understand it is a directional gesture.
Told you it was uselessgrin

justbrowsing Sat 06-Jun-09 16:59:35

thanks - interesting

anybody else?

Peachy Sat 06-Jun-09 17:04:03

How old is she? That makes a massive difference to this question

justbrowsing Sat 06-Jun-09 17:05:31

just turned 14 months- thanks!

Peachy Sat 06-Jun-09 17:33:01

DS4 is 14months tomorrow so comparable then LOL

Pointing is important; but not that much at this age. DS4 does it intermittently but mostly in the way you state it. If she weren't pointing and had other flags for autism in a years time I might be concerned but she's really to young to worry now and sounds as if she is developing normally.

I ahve 2 asd kids as well, and it's far mroe than just pointing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now