Talk

Advanced search

DS seems to be bashing his head too much while learning to crawl/cruise - help!

(8 Posts)
CherryChoc Sat 06-Jun-09 13:58:24

DS is 8 months and can crawl and is just starting to pull up on furniture etc. But he keeps hurting himself and while I know a few bumps are to be expected, it's all the time and I'm worried! In the last week - 2 weeks, he has rolled off our bed 3 times, crawled off the sofa twice (bashing his head on the metal coffee table ) and just in the last 2 days has 3 times (I caught him once) been pulling up on furniture and fallen backwards, not just into a sitting position onto his bum but all the way over onto his back, so his head hits the floor. The most recent was just now and I instinctively grabbed him but only caught his head and I worried that he might have hurt his neck - he seems ok now though. He just doesn't seem to go 2 days at the moment without banging his head fairly hard. Other babies I know don't seem to have this many accidents! Am I just being rubbish and not supervising him closely enough or am I being too PFB to be worried?

CherryChoc Sat 06-Jun-09 15:02:03

CherryChoc Sat 06-Jun-09 20:35:49

...Bump, anyone?

rosieposey Sat 06-Jun-09 20:44:24

Cherry, i have 4 DC's and its been quite a gap between no3 and no4 ( nearly 12 years ) DS is 4 months today and its a little while off but i am dreading it too - there were no laminate floors in our house 12 years ago.

I think as long as he seems ok afterwards and you keep a really close eye on him then its fine and par for the course tbh. I know you have probably already done this but just try and babyproof as much as poss (corner cushions ect) he should very shortly learn how to fall a little more gracefully grin and whilst it might seem all the time its just him finding his feet (and his knocks and scrapes). Just try and be with him as much as poss whilst he is getting around and if you cant be pop him in a playpen for 5 mins whilst you do what you have to. HTH

shortshafe Sat 06-Jun-09 21:52:01

DD and DS have both had a huge amount of knocks and bumps at this stage.

DS is 10 months and can confidently cruise around but doesn't seem to quite understand where his body actually is - he's always banging his head on the coffee table, toy box etc. and currently has 2 big bruises on his head.

He fell off the bed twice about 6 weeks ago and now I don't ever let him on anything raised (bed, sofa etc.) as he's just too quick for me to keep a close eye on - he's always on the floor! He also loves to pull things over on himself - usually the chairs!

iirc, you only need to be worried if dc vomits or appears vacant and unresponsive after a bump to the head.

DD grew out of it once she could walk reliably and spent less time pulling herself up on things and crawling around.

hth

artifarti Sun 07-Jun-09 07:29:19

DS (9 months) is currently going through this phase too! I also don't leave him on a bed/sofa etc. as there is no doubt that he will fall or roll off it milliseconds later. I watch him on the floor too so that he doesn't pull stools, plantpots etc. over on himself. Basically, I don't leave him untethered at all at the moment!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sun 07-Jun-09 07:38:25

Don't leave him on the bed or sofa! The sofa has been out of bounds here for a few months, since he launched himself off of it.

I think when they learn to move around when they are quite young they don't have such a good sense of what is around them and aren't quite so sturdy. I guess it comes with time and experience!

RoseOfTheOrient Sun 07-Jun-09 07:50:26

My DS was the same - he never really complained or cried when he'd bashed his head on the floor for the umpteenth time, but it was painful to watch so I actually put a woolly hat on his head (it was winter....) in the house to soften the blows grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now