Talk

Advanced search

Ds has gone from mumbling the very occassional one word, to.....

(9 Posts)
Claire2009 Sat 06-Jun-09 12:13:05

Ds is 2.2yo, he has been slow with his speech. But he has amazed me recently..a few weeks back he was saying ; Mama, Yeh, Hiya, Ta - and very very occassionally, not an everyday thing.

Now, he says ; Mama, Mum, Mummy, Yeh, No, Hiya, Thankyou, Bye, Over there, That way, That one, Down there, His Aunties name, his 2 cousins names. His Sisters name shock

Wow!! I never expected this at all!!! grin

StealthPolarBear Sat 06-Jun-09 12:15:04

it's amazing how quickly they seem to get it isn't it! T has suddenly done the same - saying almost everything as far as I can tell. i wonder if he has been for a while, and I just haven't been able to make out what he was saying
Good for your DS!

pranma Sat 06-Jun-09 12:15:16

Wonderful and now he will say more and more.

Claire2009 Sat 06-Jun-09 12:22:02

Thanks

It is wonderful, he wasn't even babbling very much until 2-3 months ago, he was just a silent baby, rarely cried too!

So hearing him speak, is just amazing! grin

suwoo Sat 06-Jun-09 12:23:23

My DS was like that, barely said a word at 2. He is 2.5 now and is speaking in quite complex sentences. Its unbelievable isn't it.

DottyDot Sat 06-Jun-09 12:30:45

Hi we had a very silent ds1 up until about the age of 3. He's 7 now and although is still quiet in front of other people, doesn't stop talking at home (as long as it's about Star Wars and/or Robin Hood... hmm) and holds his own with no problem at school - is a little maths genius and bang on average with reading - took him longer to get going with reading as well so we're really proud he's now doing so well.

Some of them just take a bit longer to get going with talking and maybe like my ds1, you'll have a 'deep one' (as one of our friends calls him) on your hands!

Claire2009 Sat 06-Jun-09 12:46:33

I've had 2-3 people say that ds is a "thinker/deep one" grin

DottyDot Sat 06-Jun-09 16:44:29

Yes - very familiar! I think with ds1 I worry more about him in a way because he doesn't automatically tell us what's on his mind (unlike ds2 who is verbal steam of consciousness all the time...). I find ds1 will talk more when we're in the car (he finds eye contact difficult so when I'm driving I'm not looking at him!), or when we're walking somewhere together - so I wait until I'm in one of those situations with him when I want to grill him! grin

Now he's getting older we talk to him about the importance of eye contact and of making necessary small talk - thanking grandparents for pocket money and saying hello/thank you to other grown ups - for ds1 it's something to be practiced and worked at, but he's getting there.

Claire2009 Sat 06-Jun-09 22:44:46

Thats interesting!
When Ds is in the buggy/walking along, he'll answer questions I fire at him, just simple ones ; Did you enjoy Playschool?, What did you do today? etc etc

He's answering them pretty well, but if I am right next to him and making the eye contact he won't say a word! A little embarassing when I've told the HV he says lots more now, ask him to say something and he shys and runs away grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now