Talk

Advanced search

Why have all three of my children been bottom shufflers?

(18 Posts)
IlanaK Thu 04-Jun-09 22:21:39

My ds3 started bottom shuffling today (10.5 months old) and I am wondering why all three of my children have done this and not crawled. Is it genetic? Is it because we have laminate floors? Is it because I have always sat them down surrounded by toys and not really bothered with the tummy time thing? I am just wondering really.

giantkatestacks Thu 04-Jun-09 22:23:45

hmm interesting - no idea myself - am sure some of it will be genetic and other bits of it might not be...[wedges buttcheeks onto fence]

notsoteenagemum Thu 04-Jun-09 22:25:49

I don't know but both of mine were commando crawlers which I put down to the wooden floor, or the fact they just have an inbuilt desire to create washing for me grin.

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 22:27:21

Not sure if it's genetic thing, but, DP, his brother, sister and niece were all bottom sufflers. I was a crawler (as was my brother) and DD crawled...

Oh, and we have hard floors.

snorkle Thu 04-Jun-09 22:29:29

Nice shiney floors is sure to have upped the odds of it happening I'd have thought.

norktasticninja Thu 04-Jun-09 22:29:35

Oh, DD commando crawled for ages before she crawled properly. I think it was about 4 months (and an enormous pile of washing).

QOD Thu 04-Jun-09 22:30:07

my neice was a bottom shuffler, the physio said it was because she had hypermobile joints and wasnt strong enough to hold her weight in crawling mode. Just because her hips went so far, so she bottom shuffled until she was 16 mths then walked.

giantkatestacks Thu 04-Jun-09 22:30:49

I think mine crawled out of neglect though - I was just too lazy to pick them up and cart them about half the time...

My dd never does that arms raised to be picked up thing either that I see in some bottom shufflers [extrapolates without any form of statistical evidence]

lou33 Thu 04-Jun-09 22:34:29

my first 2 walked on their knees for ages and my third bottom shuffled

number 4 crawls on all fours but thats cos he cant walk and is 8, but he used to commando crawl when he finally started to at about 18m

traceybath Thu 04-Jun-09 22:35:47

My whole family bottom shuffled and my 2dc's have and both hated being put on their tummies.

notsoteenagemum Thu 04-Jun-09 22:37:36

Mine never managed the crawling properly, it was commandoing through the dirtiest area they could find, followed by cruising around the least stable furniture they could find followed by running.
It's a miricle I am sane tbh

barnsleybelle Thu 04-Jun-09 22:44:48

My dd bottom shuffles. She's 21 months now and only started at 16 months... until then she just sat!!!

She's still not walking, but am thinking she's not far off. As she was not making any attempts to move at 12 months my gp referred her to a paed who explained that babies who hate tummy time usually end up bum shufflers and are usually late to walk.

Ds was a late mover but did crawl at 15 months and walked at 18 months.

crokky Thu 04-Jun-09 22:47:11

I did not crawl, neither of my DCs crawled either. I think there might be something genetic going on.

sharkyandgeorge Thu 04-Jun-09 22:47:55

Both of my girls have been bum shufflers, I have read that it was genetic but not sure where they got it from as neither me or Dp were bum shufflers and both walked by 12 months, DD1 didn't walk til 17 months and DD2 is 15 months now and no-where near walking.

MatNanPlus Thu 04-Jun-09 22:48:26

I bottom shuffled as i had/have knee cap deformaties and then i 'crawled' on hands and feet after i could walk.

francagoestohollywood Thu 04-Jun-09 22:48:50

Both my ds and dd were bottom shuffler!

Concordia Thu 04-Jun-09 22:55:26

i was a bottom shuffler and late to walk.
DS crawled but DD started to bottom shuffle on holiday (cottage had stone floors we have carpets). She's tried since she came back home to carpet but isn't getting very far on her bottom, but isnt' looking like crawling either. I guess its a bit of both, genetics and environment (ie flooring). interestingly i had hip / joint leg type problems as a child for which i needed physio and DD had immature hip socket thingy (seems to be resolving / have resolved itself), whereas DS (who crawled) was fine in this respect.

wobbegong Thu 04-Jun-09 23:08:22

They say it does run in families.
DD is a bum shuffler- she is 18 months and can walk a few steps, just prefers not to...
I also bottom shuffled to 2 years with no ill effects with the exception of a slightly bandy left leg blush and a total inability to do aerobics blush blush (apparently something to do with crawling teaching you to co-ordinate your arms and legs moving simultaneously, so I missed out on that). I was brought up in a house with wall to wall carpets so that doesn't add weight to the flooring hypothesis I'm afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now