Talk

Advanced search

Disciplining a 32 month old - what else can I try??

(2 Posts)
cacatchpole Thu 04-Jun-09 20:46:01

My DS2 is aged 32 months. He has been a real handful since about 9 months old, and is very competitive with his brother for my attention. When we are at home and he does something unacceptable (bites/hits brother) I use the naughty stair - although he doesn't mind sitting on it and sings, shouts, plays with things (eg his toes) happily until the time is up. It makes me feel that I'm in control, but really it isn't having any effect.

When we are out I'm at a loss to know what to do. For example, I was helping DS1 change after swimming & DS2 hits me with the goggles almost knocking off my glasses. I tell him off, put him on the seat as a naughty spot, but then he continues to hit/kick at me and his brother, and again dislodges my glasses. I end up holding his arms to stop him hitting me, and stand him on the floor to make it harder for him to kick me. He then shouts and screams and is obviously very cross with me. Eventually he calms down and wants cuddles.

My mum & M-I-L both suggested a smack - but he just hit me back again, which kind of makes sense as I had hit him. So not something I'll be trying to repeat.

He doesn't have any favourite toys to take away. I have tried putting him in his bedroom but he climbed up onto the windowsill (not very safe) and broke his mobile into pieces to amuse himself. He has also deliberately weed on the floor when he has been put in a naughty spot, although not recently.

I am really at a loss as to what to try next. He can be such a lovely loving boy, but he is very strong willed, strong and determined and I don't feel like I'm making any improvement to his behaviour. I hoped by now things would be settling down, but they don't seem to be...

cacatchpole Thu 04-Jun-09 20:49:04

Oh god, have just re-read a post I did in June 2008 - almost a year ago - and things have not got any better! I'm doomed...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now