Talk

Advanced search

Pronunciation at 19 months

(12 Posts)
burningupinspeed Wed 03-Jun-09 20:56:05

I wasn't worried about this but other threads have me thinking maybe I should?

DS doesn't say much which doesn't bother me but what he does say is barely understandable

We have cats, he says kitty but it sounds like diddy. He has started saying apple but it is more like bappo. Ball is like bow, sort of. Sounds more like a babble noise but I know it is ball. Diddy also seems to mean something else but I am not sure what.
Words that are clear are daddy, mama (sometimes - often sounds like my-ie), nana (banana) and bee (used for bees, beep beep, and beans!)

Normal?

ilovetochat Wed 03-Jun-09 20:59:10

quite normal i think, they hear the word but arent 100% sure of it yet. make sure noone copies the incorrect word even if its cute, always use the proper word.
if he says bappo say yes clever boy its an apple, do you like apple, shall we chop the apple, how many apple pieces do you want. etc etc so he hears the proper word lots and lots and will learn it properly.

Ceebee74 Wed 03-Jun-09 21:00:38

Absolutely normal imo - DS1 was exactly the same at that age and didn't really start to pronounce things properly until he was about 2.5 - there were very very few words that were understandable.

He didn't start talking properly until he had turned 2 and then it was like someone had switched a tap on and it all came flooding out!! He is now 2.11 and still pronounces some words wrong but the majority of what he says is totally understandable and he says huge long sentences now.

Make the most of his mispronounciations as they are cute - our fave was 'gigis' which he used for Thomas for ages - even now me and Dh will call Thomas gigis for a joke blush and DS1 will say 'no, it's Thomas'.

Really don't worry about it smile

barnsleybelle Wed 03-Jun-09 21:01:48

Totally normal....please don't worry. The fact that he is making attempts to talk are all that matters.
If he for example says nana, just say "clever boy, yes banana". Don't correct his attempts as this way knock his confidence. Just repeat back the correct word.

Oh yes, and don't ever use baby talk grin.

Some will talk early, some later, but by 3 they are more or less all at the same stage give or take.

burningupinspeed Wed 03-Jun-09 21:02:00

Thanks ilovetochat, I wasn't really worrying but sometimes you second guess yourself... I try to repeat the right word without trying to discourage him. It is hard sometimes not to repeat things like bappo as he says it in such a gentle little voice it is sooo cute bless him, I love to see him trying... DP was a VERY late talker (4 y) so am pleased with anything really...

barnsleybelle Wed 03-Jun-09 21:02:26

x posts... ilove smile

burningupinspeed Wed 03-Jun-09 21:03:21

Oh thanks ceebee and barnsley too, so pleased others do this, his little friends all sound like mini-adults but I forget easily he is younger.

ilovetochat Wed 03-Jun-09 21:04:01

never tell him he is wrong, just repeat the word but correctly.
some words dd knows like light but cannot pronounce, she says yight, her l is always a y but i think thats normal.

burningupinspeed Wed 03-Jun-09 22:01:26

Oh no I don't mean I tell him he is wrong, just like you and barnsley say, repeat the right word by saying 'would you like an apple' etc I didn't expect perfect pronunciation, just now and then I half wonder if it is a hearing issue but I've no other reason to be concerned so I'll relax

barnsleybelle Wed 03-Jun-09 22:15:10

Burning... it didn't come across that you were telling him it's wrong, so don't worry. We were both just giving out tips to help you re what's worked for us.

I totally get what you mean about the "cute" thing. My dd (21 months) says "boola" when she sees a balloon. It's very sweet and so tempting to start calling them that from now on! It's just important for speech to develop that you acknowledge how clever they are whilst repeating the correct word.

Your doing a great job, stick with it.

burningupinspeed Thu 04-Jun-09 07:32:41

Boola that's lovely. Thanks Barnsley

ilovetochat Thu 04-Jun-09 14:49:52

sorry burning, i didnt mean that you were telling him hes wrong, just reinforcing what i was told. did he have the newborn hearing test? Im sure its just normal as he is only young and will all come as he develops more. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now