Talk

Advanced search

12mo dd biting her own arm

(7 Posts)
laurawantsababy Wed 03-Jun-09 20:36:33

Any ideas? Is this normal? She only started doing it a few days ago and you can see teeth marks on her arm, its not hard but is leaving marks. Thanks.

barnsleybelle Wed 03-Jun-09 20:44:16

My dd 21 months does this occasionally, but it's normally when she's overtired and having a tantrum..

If that doesn't sound like your dd could she be teething, they will bite on anything to try and get some relief??

laurawantsababy Thu 04-Jun-09 08:37:29

Thanks. I do think she might be teething but is more interested in biting her arm then teethers!

shabster Thu 04-Jun-09 08:47:12

My DS4 did this at around the same age and then moved on to banging his head on the floor hmm once he could make us understand what he wanted he stopped doing it......Im just watching my 12 month old grandson having a massive paddy with me because I wont let him hold my DS4's hamster shock I think at this age anything is normal grin

BiscuitStuffer Thu 04-Jun-09 22:21:51

It can also be a sign that they're hungry. Could that be when your DD is doing it?

TottWriter Thu 04-Jun-09 22:32:16

My DS didn't bite his arm, but since even before he was 12 months he has fairly regularly hit his head against wall and floors.

She could be doing it for attention - do you immediately give her a cuddle if she gets hurt? DP and I realised that this was what DS was doing when he gently got down onto all fours and hit his head on the floor in the middle ofa tantrum. It could be that she's worked out (all by herself) a handy way to nab your attention.

Or, as other mums have suggested, she could well be teething. Is she dribbling a lot? that's a good sign that she might be.

laurawantsababy Fri 05-Jun-09 08:46:51

I just tell her not to do it and then ignore her. She seems to have stopped a bit but she has long sleeves on now instead of t shirts. I will wait and see if she starts head banging!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now