Talk

Advanced search

16 month old ds - should I be worried that he's not pointing?

(3 Posts)
Mawgan Wed 03-Jun-09 20:23:32

My ds is coming up to 16 months and is a really happy, lovely boy. I'm worried though about his development. He's not got any words yet, which I'm sure is normal, but he doesn't point at anything or show me anything that he's playing with/can see from his pram. Is this normal? He's smily, giggly and loves cuddles and playtime so I think he's OK, but just need some reassurance that pointing is not a 'big thing' to focus on.

lingle Wed 03-Jun-09 20:54:59

Hi Mawgan,

It's not what you want to hear, but you're so right to be thinking more about pointing and much less about speech. The key thing about pointing is that it's a significant part of the development of pre-verbal communication. I don't know exactly when pointing is "expected". Sometime between 18 months and 2 years. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along in a minute.

My lad didn't point until 2.6. I didn't know it mattered. If I had, I'd have done more intensive work on his communication earlier to accelerate it all I could. As it is, he's going to be fine - probably a maths professor, but fine!!!!

lingle Wed 03-Jun-09 20:59:53

OK Mawgan, here are some better-educated people talking pointing - the answer's 18 months.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=behaviour_development&threadid=592367-16-month-old-not-pointing-waving- or-talking-worried#12075937

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now