Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS (17 months) not pointing to body parts

(16 Posts)
Travellerintime Wed 03-Jun-09 19:57:43

Is there something strange about this? Ds has about 25 words, points when we show him things, or points to attract our attention, is affectionate and giggly, and seems to understand quite a few things we say (eg bring me your shoes).

But he stubbornly resists most attempts at me asking him to point to his head etc. He has occasionally done this, but most of the time just looks confused.

Am I expecting too much of him? I kind of suspect I am, because I know I compare him with dd (who had lots more language and could point at every body part by now). I think I've always been slightly worried about him, because he didn't seem v sociable as a baby and his sleep in the first year was sooo bad. He's more than made up for that now, but I still find myself over-analysing him (I know I sound like a really OTT mummy - I'm not really, just a natural worrier).

Egg Wed 03-Jun-09 20:48:20

my dts are nearly 17 months and whilst they can point to a few body parts they dont have any vocabulary really. He sounds perfectly fine to me!

burningupinspeed Wed 03-Jun-09 20:51:01

What?

My 19 month old doesn't point to body parts. He has about 6 words, at a push.

Travellerintime Wed 03-Jun-09 22:12:07

Ok, must remember to stop reading those development charts and chill out. Especially What to expect - the toddler years.

bumpybecky Wed 03-Jun-09 22:19:56

mine is 17 months tomorrow I think he can say mummy, daddy, teddy and boo. No one else can understand him, apart from boo. He's pointed at the cat once. He has no idea about body parts. Well, he must have realised he has some, but that's as far as we've got!

all 3 of his sisters were speaking much more clearly with a much better vocabulary (sp?) when they were much younger

ds is much better at poking snails and getting muddy though, even though he's 17 months and they are 11,9 and 4 years old

snickersnack Wed 03-Jun-09 22:20:10

He's probably wondering why you keep asking such a stupid question when the answer is so obvious grin.

I would say that's entirely normal. I was extremely impressed when ds pointed to his ears at about 18 months. Don't compare - it's so hard not to, but that way lies madness. ds is very nearly 2 - by this age I was having long and complicated conversations with dd about all sorts of things. My conversations with ds run along the lines of "da da" (him), "daddy? daddy's at work" (me) "no no no ba ba " (him) "sheep? can you see a sheep?" (me) "no no no ma ma ma" (him) "what are you trying to say?" (me) "da da da" (him, more urgently) "I give up" (me). But he's much more astute than dd was in many ways - much better at taking turns, joining in, doing puzzles etc. So I'm trying to embrace their differences rather than worrying about them.

And chuck that bloody book away. It's the work of the devil.

snickersnack Wed 03-Jun-09 22:35:39

Sorry, have just re-read my post and I sound really rude. I didn't mean to...! But I did read somewhere that when you're trying to encourage children to speak it's better to just talk to them, repeat what they say, if they point at stuff say "oh yes, an x, it's red" etc etc. rather than asking them "what's that?" "can you point to y?" because it just baffles them. Which did make a lot of sense to me.

willowthewispa Wed 03-Jun-09 22:39:18

Aw, he's only a baby - stop worrying!

chegirl Wed 03-Jun-09 23:13:56

My DS is 18 mths and does not say anything. He is a lazy little bugger and I KNOW he can speak, he just chooses not to.

He doesnt point to anything much really.

If he was my first baby I would probably be fretting terribly.

He is my 4th so I am not worried at all. (dont mean that to sound patronising because I really DID worry about everything with my 1st)

If you want your LO learn to point/name his bits I would sing 'heads shoulders knees and toes' with him over and over. That'll do it grin

difficultdecision Thu 04-Jun-09 17:19:47

DS is nearly 17m and can point to his head and toes but has only 2 identifiable words in his vocabulary - 'daddy' and 'more' (I'm still hoping for 'mummy' and 'please! blush)

He knows exactly what is going on in the world and can follow quite complex instructions (eg. Could you get your sleeping bag and put it in the washing machine please')

I wouldn't worry - development charts include average and range, typically with speech the range of normal is very wide.

moocowme Thu 04-Jun-09 19:23:34

my DS (20mo) can show me both his tummy and his foot because he enjoys getting a tickle on them when he gets it right. we have not mastered any other parts just yet but are working on fingers next.

wobbegong Thu 04-Jun-09 19:36:58

It has just occurred to me that I have never even tried DD on body parts. She is 18 months and very chatty. She thinks her foot is called "tickle", which is presumably a good sign. Travellerintime, throw away the books and pour yourself a large glass of wine!

simpson Thu 04-Jun-09 22:15:36

DD (16mths) is really chatty (over 40 words)

but she doesn't know body parts really other than head, nose and hair grin

Although she is chatty, she is not walking so I guess they get there in their own time smile

Would second chegirl as thats how DD learnt head & nosegrin

DesperateHousewifeToo Thu 04-Jun-09 22:27:39

Snickersnack's post of 22:35:39 is spot on.

Try not to make language development one big test smile

Talk to him about what he is doing, using short simple sentences.

He sounds as though he is doing fine.

If you are desperate for him to learn body parts, talk to him about them ''I'm going to tickle ds' tummy'', ''tickle ds' toes'', ''kiss ds' fingers'', etc.

Have funsmile

maxybrown Sat 06-Jun-09 19:24:25

My Ds can point at most things (body parts objects etc etc) at 20 months but doesn't really speak so???!! Who knows!!!

serant Mon 08-Jun-09 09:23:48

ds only child nearly 16mth says 2-3 words but babbles constantly, he has just started to crawl, will walk with your hand, can point to body parts but often refuses to..

I think we do worry so much, even when we are told its within normal ranges!

I do try to be more relaxed & keep the perspective.. I,m so glad i found mumsnet though as it really does help to chat..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now