Talk

Advanced search

back arching to resist sitting in an 8 month old - boringly normal or not?

(8 Posts)
blimey Tue 02-Jun-09 22:25:31

I so can't remember...DS3 resists attempts to sit him by stiffening his whole body. I really thought this happened much later, does this mean I've got a particularly stubborn little monkey or is this quite normal?
He is desperate to walk and shows no interest in crawling and just wants to he held in a standing position, which makes him laugh a lot, which is lovely but a bit wearing on the arms.
I also want him to crawl at some point if poss. Do I need to demo this a lot or get him to see other babies doing it? I'm a bit slack on the activities for him with other babies, being the third and all.
Any wise words appreciated!

LolaLadybird Tue 02-Jun-09 23:24:58

DS did the back arching thing for a while - probably a little bit later than your DS tbh, but then he didn't crawl until about 14 mths and walked at 17. Sounds like your DS is going to be a lot more active. A tip I learnt - to make sure there was nothing DS could wallop his head on as he did the back arching - poor DS hit his head on the radiator valve one bathtime through stropping in this way !

As for the demo-ing the crawling, not sure it makes any difference (although think it might be quite comical to watch wink). I think they all do it all their own way, when they're ready ...

Treadmillmom Tue 02-Jun-09 23:39:50

DC3, 9 months old, identical!
Sometimes, I have to feed her held in a standing position.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 02-Jun-09 23:43:30

DS was like this from about 7 months - he would go all rigid. We found that putting him into a sitting position while we were still holding him helped!

He's now much better at 10 months, although he still loves to stand up. He practises in his cot when he should be going to sleep - argh!

CherryChoc Tue 02-Jun-09 23:44:36

DS is nearly 8 months and refuses to sit at all. He is crawling though. I don't think he would need anything to copy tbh He likes cruising as well but can't do it by himself, he needs to be supported to do so, but it's his favourite thing (except for chasing the cat!)

blimey Wed 03-Jun-09 10:55:15

that's so funny that they can be willfull?sp from this age!
thanks for the shared experiences and tips!
anyone tried to demo crawling? (It will at least give him a laugh I guess grin

ABitStretched Wed 03-Jun-09 11:26:15

hi blimey about the crawling demo's -yes try it. ds1 was the grumpiest toad in the world every time he approached a milestone and was trying to achieve it. 9mths old he crawled backwards and was sooooooo cross. I turned up at my Nan's house and begged for help coz he was driving me crazy.Had a lovley afternoon drinking tea while watching a 71 year old woman crawling around the floor with a baby but by the end of the afternoon he could do it. Thankfully ds1 taught ds2 to crawl for me at about 8 months - also took about 1 afternoon.

blimey Wed 03-Jun-09 12:34:00

that's brill - thanks! here goes!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now