Talk

Advanced search

3.5 year old whinges ALL day - any tips or advice gratefully received!

(6 Posts)
ministryofsleep Mon 01-Jun-09 19:27:48

I have 2 DS's - 3.5 and 1.5, DS1 is driving me mad with his whinging and whining - it is literally all day. Is this normal and if so how do we make sure it is a very short phase grin TIA

deaconblue Mon 01-Jun-09 19:37:26

mine very whingy at the mo too. Am putting it down to the weather (she hopes). I tell him I can't understand him unless he speaks nicely which works until the next time he wants something then it's back to whining again

jabberwocky Mon 01-Jun-09 19:41:20

Ds1 was much worse at 3 than at 2

Of course, ds2 is now very much a two year old so worrying about what I may be up against with him hmm

DuchessOfAvon Mon 01-Jun-09 19:44:55

Def use the "ask with your nice voice".

Sometimes I whinge back but out-whinge her - it makes her laugh and helps us both chill out a bit.

The only thing that has really worked for us is me being more disciplined with undivided attention for her. So I tell her that we'll play for an allotted period of time and then I make sure she gets all of me for that time. No phone, no web, no little chores in between and I try to ignore the baby if I can. I give her a 5 min count down to the end of the playtime and then I ask her to allow me to do whatever I need to do and entertain herself. As she has come to learn that I really will play and she trusts me to do so, she's much better about not whinging at me at other times.

But - jeepers - some of her games are mind-numbingly tedious.

nowwearefour Mon 01-Jun-09 19:47:20

i just get grumpy and say if you keep on whinging then you wont get/do x nice thing i had planned for them to get/do that day. i am prob too strict but whinging drives me potty so i have to put a stop to it. i do carry through (or have one in the past) so it mostly works now. also is usually for me coz too tired/hungry so i try to do someting about that if i poss can....(dd1 is 3.9)

barnsleybelle Mon 01-Jun-09 19:47:51

Mine went through this too at around the same age. Like the others have said i used to say " i'm sorry, but i can't understand you when you talk like that". It did eventually pass. Just don't rise to the whining as that way they have your undivided attention!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now