Talk

Advanced search

HELP ME ....TO WEAN MY PREM BABY...

(4 Posts)
VKBABY Mon 01-Jun-09 14:31:05

MY BABY WAS BORN 30+$..SHE IS NOW 4 AND A. HALF MOTH ...( ACTUAL AGE).....
SHE CHEWS HER HAND..TAKE INTEREST WHAT WE ARE EATING....GETS IRRITABLE AND BECOMES HUNGRY ...CAN'T WAIT FOR FOOD...BUT I HAVE INCREASED HER MILK QUANTITY THTS WHY SHE IS MORE RELAXED AND SLEEPING WELL THOUGH...
SHALL I START HER WEANING NOW OR WAIT WHEN SHE IS 6 MONTHS OLD ( AS MY hv TOLD ME ).

TheBreastmilksOnMe Mon 01-Jun-09 14:41:18

Wait until she is 6mths old as she will be at increased risk of allergies and intolerences if you try before then plus she will still have a tongue thrust reflex which will ake it difficult and messy getting her to swallow her food. Babies take an interest in everyhting we do- including eating, they will take an interest in us hoovering/wshing the dishes- doesn't mean they want to do it!

fairimum Tue 02-Jun-09 13:47:28

My DD was prem and I waited until 6 months, she still wasnt interested in food and I got really stressed with it all as HV said she should be eating etc. In the end saw hospital (as had lactose intolerance) and they said she will eat when she is ready... they were so right! I just used to sit her in highchair whenever we ate (and she was awake) and gave her finger foods - sticks of banana went down well as well as breadsticks (for chewing!) as well as just some of whatever we were eating (if suitable) - she played with it and made loads of mess for weeks but some went in her mouth but took along time for her to actually eat any... (as she was 8 months by now) along with this i offered her a spoonful of fruit puree a couple of times a day - for weeks she refused it or spat it out, eventually she started eating off a spoon although not much... i was so so stressed about her eating and it just made her more stresed - she is now 12 months and eating well, but only has for the last 6/8 weeks or so really - looking back and having spoken to hospital at her review she just wasnt ready for food at 6 months, apparently this is quite common! next time I will just chill with it all - up the milk and keep offering finger food etc from 6 months but not worry if she eats it or not! ooo also we were told that as prem not to be too concerned about weaning until their corrected age, said to offer it if wanted but not to worry that milk was more important!

AnarchyAunt Tue 02-Jun-09 13:50:52

Definitely wait until 6months, especially if she is more relaxed and sleeping better when you give her more milk. Hunger in a baby this age does mean they need the nutrition they get from milk, which they won't get from solids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now