Talk

Advanced search

ergo carriers in london?

(19 Posts)
theory Mon 01-Jun-09 10:40:19

Has anyone seen a shop in London where you can try out an ergo and other baby carriers? DD is just about too big for the baby bjorn now and ready for a new transport mode, but I'd rather try some out before buying...tx

OrangeKnickers Mon 01-Jun-09 16:07:10

I have seen them in John Lewis.

I have had Angelpack, a Yamo and my new favourite is www.roseandrebellion.com.

I am not on commission!

There are groups you can go along to and try out slings. www.slingmeet.co.uk. I am memeber but didn't get round to going. HTH

If you are interested in a SSC then I would probably sell the Yamo. It's bright red and flowery.

OrangeKnickers Mon 01-Jun-09 16:08:41

I should say that ds is 23months and quite big and I still carry him in the SSC and as it's reversible, so does DH.

wobbegong Mon 01-Jun-09 16:33:09

What part of London do you live in? Born on Stoke Newington Church Street has them.

Or if you live near me you can come round and try mine!

theory Mon 01-Jun-09 16:56:23

wobbegong- that's really nice! I live in west central, though, Bayswater-Westbourne Grove way...just went on the slingmeet site and there don't seem to be any get togethers in the near future

I'm a bit gun-shy after I bought a Kari-me and hated it - just too fiddly for me to deal with, and baby girl wasn't so pleased either. She just adores being face out to the world and up at "big people" height with the baby bjorn. And I'm wondering how she'll take to having to look sideways on my hip or back.

OrangeKnickers Tue 02-Jun-09 20:09:17

I always wear ds on the front, and he can look sideways, plus we can talk. I also bought a didymos and really didn't get on with it. The buckles on the SSCs make them very easy to use.

zonedout Tue 02-Jun-09 20:40:04

bumping and watching with interest... have had my eye on an ergo for some time now but really want to try one out before forking out...

wobbegong (loving your name... ds1 is very into sharks and the word wobbegong always makes us laugh...)apologies for butting in and if i seem rude but whereabouts are you? blush

wobbegong Tue 02-Jun-09 22:06:11

Hello everyone
I am in North London nr Finsbury Park/ Crouch End so probably not much good for theory unless she wants a trip out to zone two! But always happy to help. I work in Bloomsbury if that helps anyone. Just CAT me.
I do rate the ergo very hightly btw though theory, she won't face outwards...

IlanaK Tue 02-Jun-09 22:13:45

I am in zone 1 Baker Street if you want to travel to me. I don't have the ergo, but i have a Becco which is very similar. I have a variety of other slings too if you want to try a few and see what you like (I don't sell them!). I am actually giving a talk on the benefits of babywearing at the ABM's upcoming conference in Leicester if anyone is intersted!

Expectant Wed 03-Jun-09 04:39:52

Have just got my ergo - DS also nearly outgrown his baby bjorn. I don't live in England though so can't help with suppliers. DS also loved facing outwards in the Bjorn but I have to say so far so good in the ergo. Haven't tried hip wearing yet (looks a little more complicated) but have had him on my front and back and DH has tried the back carry too. I have to say sooo much more comfortable (for me anyway) than the baby bjorn as he was getting too heavy and it was hurting my back. I live in a hot climate though so a little bit warmer than my baby bjorn air. I had him in the front carry for well over an hour yesterday whilst doing shopping and could hardly feel that he was there - I couldn't have done this with the Bjorn even when he was lighter!

theory Thu 04-Jun-09 12:19:07

wobbegong- I work in Bloomsbury, too. UCL? I bring my girl in from time to time, so maybe we could meet you and your ergo!

ilovegreenbeans Thu 04-Jun-09 14:02:25

theory- I work at UCL too! (at ION)
I bought a Rose and Rebellion sling a few months ago and I LOVE it!

wahwah1270 Thu 04-Jun-09 15:04:31

john lewis definitely has them. my new connecta arrives tomorrow - sooooooooooooooooo excited

OrangeKnickers Thu 04-Jun-09 15:05:23

yay rose and rebellion rule - and they are so much funkier / prettier than the dull ergo. Could you email them and ask if you can do a sale or return?

wobbegong Thu 04-Jun-09 22:45:57

Hi theory- I'd be more than happy to bring my ergo into work one day next week if that would help you- if so, please CAT me so we can arrange (I have tried to CAT you but your settings don't allow sad)

TheProvincialLady Thu 04-Jun-09 22:53:48

IlanaK I will be modelling a sling at that conference (in the fashion show bit) grin

theory Tue 16-Jun-09 10:38:13

Hi everyone-
Just thought I'd let people know that Blue Daisy in Hampstead has ergos- we got one over the weekend! So far, little girl not very keen, but I'm hoping she'll change her mind

commanderchaos Tue 16-Jun-09 10:59:23

good luck with the ergo, theory. we had one for DS (4 in Sept) and we still use it for him, so have now got a second for DD (1). they take a bit of getting used to but i can honestly say it's the best buy i've ever made for the children. can't rate it highly enough.

mummylovestoshop Sun 21-Jun-09 22:45:57

I have to add to this as I have just noticed it on Ergo's website and I was so disgusted by it I felt people should be aware of it. Under their section "About us" they have a part about their labour practices in India and it says

-Employee working hours are governed by local standards but are not more than 50 hours per week (including overtime) for full-time employment unless employees voluntarily agree otherwise, in extraordinary business circumstances. In no event will working hours ever exceed 60 hours. (60 hour weeks!!!)

-Employees are paid in accordance with local and/or national laws and are paid overtime as earned in accordance with such legislation (local wages will be around £1-£2 a day)

- Working areas are well ventilated, with comfortable, REASONABLY well-lit workstations !!(I would like to think that the people making the carriers can see well!)

-Employee living quarters, food, clothing allowance and other provisions are ADEQUATE to meet the standards of the job !!

-Access to REASONABLY clean toilet facilities and to potable water, and, if appropriate, clean facilities are provided for food storage (I would like to think that people making baby products would have access to VERY clean toilet facilities!)

-Our facilities do not subject employees to unhealthy, unsafe conditions or employ UNREASONABLE !!!! mental or physical disciplinary practices (what would reasonable mental and physical disciplinary practices be ??!)

I have not made any of these up or gone digging to find them they are on the Ergo website I find it so shocking that these are the practices of a company that sells their carriers for a high price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now