Talk

Advanced search

Stammering advice needed!

(7 Posts)
CakeandFineWine Sun 31-May-09 20:52:50

Hi all

My DD tuns 3 on 17/6 and has recently started excessively stammering.

However DH has a stammer and one of the nursery nurses in the room she is being prepared to go into has an obvious stammer too!
DH thinks shes just copying but I'm not so sure as it seems to be certain words such as and, she is repeating/getting stuck on for about 20-30 repetitions so its really noticeable.

Is it best to get her seen by a SALT or just she if she grows out of it>?
Any advice or experiences appreciated!!

CakeandFineWine Sun 31-May-09 21:24:39

bump

anyone....

CakeandFineWine Sun 31-May-09 22:02:07

one of you lovely ladies must have some experience or advice?

morningsun Sun 31-May-09 23:16:47

Hi theresmile
Stammers are quite common I believe at this age and 3/4 grow out of them by age 5 yrs.Often occurs in very fluent early talkers with large vocabularies apparently.
If it persists[now I mean] it is good to ask for SALT I think,we were told this when our ds stammered but he did grow out of it .

General things to do that help when the stammer is there;

Don't ask questions as it increases the pressure on the child,just make statements[harder than it sounds!]

Speak slowly and clearly to her,give her plenty of time to reply without rushing her or interrupting her.

Only one person speak to her at once.

Listen to her quietly giving her lots of time.

All dealing with her ,siblings,nursery etc,to do the same.

Wil try to find a link for you

madwomanintheattic Mon 01-Jun-09 14:21:20

v v common at this age - a fairly normal developmental stage, sort of getting 'stuck' because your brain is going too fast for your mouth to keep up with, or getting distracted by something else along the way but being aware that you were half way through something.

no need to worry at all unless it carries on into school.

with dd2 if she was getting upset by it (mostly they barely notice they are doing it) we used to say 'pause, take a breath, think what you want to say and then try again'. she was quite delayed though so went through this later, as well as having some articulation issues due to poor oromotor skills.

wahwahwah Mon 01-Jun-09 14:25:48

Get him singing. Stammerers don't stammer when they sing.

Also get him a toy phone - often they don't stammer on the phone either. It will help with his confidence. Y

ou may find that he speaks better when he is looking down (the eyes automatically look down when someone is processing information) so that's not an issue (ie he is not being shy, so don't press him to make eye contact with whoever he is speaking to).

He will more than likely grow out of it. Just don't finish sentences for him or answer a question for him.

Runoutofideas Mon 01-Jun-09 14:41:34

My dd1 went through a stage of doing this at about 3 (she's now 4.2). I'm sure it was because her brain was working faster than she could get the words out. I think it only lasted about 6 weeks and she doesn't do it anymore. My aunt is a SALT and I asked her about it at the time. She said it's very common for children to go through a phase of stammering and it'll probably go away as quickly as it came, which it did....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now