Talk

Advanced search

speech in 2 1/2 year old

(4 Posts)
jetcat32 Sun 31-May-09 17:25:35

Hi,

my lovely little DD2 is 2 1/2, and is a proper little chatterbox. So unlike DD1, who required many months of speech therapy and still needs help now (she is 12). Because of the vast difference in their abilities, i would like a little reassurance please??

DD2 loves the sound of her own voice lol, and can say most words quite clearly. However, she does repeat the end sound of the word at the end of a sentence over and over again. For example, "yes please" becomes "yes please se se se se se" and "on the table" becomes "on the table ble ble ble ble" and so on.

I hope that explains it ok, and is it normal??

amisuchabadmummy Sun 31-May-09 17:33:08

how long has she been doing this?

my DS is also a chatterbox and has gone through various phases, such as swopping first letter over eg. instead piece of bread it would be biece of pread...

ending everything in ee so it would be pieceeee of breadeeee

i think they are experimenting with sounds at this stage so yes probably normal.

jetcat32 Sun 31-May-09 17:38:27

thanks aisabm, she has doing it for a good few weeks now. I have told DD1 not to comment/make a fuss of DD2 when she does it, so i know its not for attention. Plus she does it when alone in her bed, when reading chattering to her teds and dolls.

re the experimenting with sound - thats what i think, but it does seem to more pronounced lately!

Mariajb Wed 17-Jun-09 21:00:13

I agree that your child is experimenting with sounds - watch for them blocking their ears or straching their face as hey make sounds - my daughter will lean her head against the sofa to cover an ear then make alsorts of noises and play with words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now