Talk

Advanced search

Last night while in the bath DD asked for a poo.

(14 Posts)
insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 27-May-09 13:16:28

DD asked for a poo, DH put her on the toilet (with a child seat) and she did a wee. She is 18 mo, is it time to actively start potty training?

We have had the potty out for a few months now so that DD can sit on it as and when she likes but as yet has not actually done anything in it. Done it next to the potty grin but not actually in it.

DH and I haven't been forcing the potty issue as I thought that maybe DD was too young, but now I am re thinking that.

WWYD?

MiniMarmite Wed 27-May-09 14:06:13

DS is nine months and does wees and poos on his potty (usually first thing in the morning and after naps). He knows that he can go to the toilet in the potty (although he can't stop himself from going if he needs to go and not on the potty IYSWIM). We're just taking it gently and seeing what happens. Baby Whisperer book has lots of useful information.

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 27-May-09 14:13:30

Wow 9 months.

DD has been telling us for a few weeks now when she has a wet or dirty nappy. I suppose this is as good a time to start.

the only other thing I was worried about is that I am 32+5 pg with DD2 and didn't want to disrupt DD1 anymore than she is already and is going to be when DD2 comes along.

<goes off to google the baby whisperer book>

tiredandgrumpy Wed 27-May-09 14:18:55

I would say it's too early to start enforcing potty training, but a good opportunity to practice. No need to go nappyless, but why not offer a potty as well? I potty-trained ds when dd was 6 months old. I could guarantee that, no matter how much I planned, ds would always insist he needed a poo just as I was bf dd. Give yourself a break and don't push potty-training until you're feeling strong. From my experience, having now potty-trained both kids, the first few months are no easier than when they were in nappies.

MiniMarmite Wed 27-May-09 14:34:31

IWNH - Baby Whisperer does say not great to start when big changes are afoot (congratulations on your pregnancy by the way smile)

My friend's DD was 18 months when her DS arrived and even though DD was potty trained she wanted to be in nappies when the baby arrived so you may find she resists. Might go the other way of course and she will be pround of being able to do 'big girl' things.

As Tired says, if you start familiarisation rather than training it might be easier on you all.

Also worth looking back on some of the older tthreads on this (interesting advice from BabiesEverywhere for example).

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 27-May-09 14:53:33

Thank you both. We have a potty in the room and in her bedroom for her if she wants to use it. We always give lots of praise if she sits on her potty. DD is fascinated with the potty.

I am feeling very lazy/fat/big (take your pick grin) though and am not in the right frame of mind at the moment to try to force the issue of potty training.

roneef Wed 27-May-09 15:09:28

You have a very advanced little girl there smile

Babieseverywhere Wed 27-May-09 15:26:36

We introduced a potty very early with both children. My DD was clean and dry from a year but she did regress when her brother was born. So from 2 to 2.4 she demanded and used nappies for daytime wees hmm

I feel you are right not to push it especially with a sibling on the way. That said if a possible regression doesn't bother you, keep on offering the potty and give her as much nappy free time as you can stand and see how things go

insertwittynicknameHERE Wed 27-May-09 16:09:38

Thank you.
DD has most evenings nappy free anyway and we offer her the potty then, although it is always within her reach anyway so she can get it herself.

I don't think we are gonna force the issue but just make more of an effort in the evenings when DD is nappy free to get her to sit on the potty.

I am not bothered by a regression or TBH bothered if she does it on the carpet as the carpet needs replacing anyway lol. Also we have a carpet cleaner as BLW was not very easy on our carpet grin

berrysmum Sun 31-May-09 21:52:15

My 6 yr old was dry by 18 months, but had terrible issues with pooing on the toilet. I felt that I had pushed her a little too early so decided to wait until DD2 was two and showing signs of understanding the toilet concept. One day two months ago (21 months) she pointed at the toilet and said wee. I put her on, she weed and pood and has never worn nappies in the day since. So I guess it's impossible to say when they're ready, they'll let you know!

Sycamoretreeisvile Sun 31-May-09 22:07:40

This is not to discourage you, but optimum age is usually around 2 - 2.5 years old, for reasons alluded to on this thread.

You will only ever regret starting too soon, not leaving it too late. smile

ilovetochat Sun 31-May-09 22:14:38

dd sat on potty and pood at 18 months and did all poos on potty from then on. i put her in pullups and offered the potty and she started weeing on it and potty trained properly, asking when she needed to go at 21 months.
i wouldnt have pushed her but i didnt want to ignore her readiness.

Babieseverywhere Mon 01-Jun-09 07:28:18

"You will only ever regret starting too soon, not leaving it too late"
Sadly very late (not sure what late means, maybe 5/6 year old ?) potty training has been linked to several bladder issues, where as early toilet training (assuming no pressure from parents) has not been linked to any health risks. So there is no proven risk to starting early if mothers wish.

IMO as long as mothers are child led and put no pressure on our children, I reckon there are many windows when babies/toddlers can become dry and clean, not just one right way.

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 01-Jun-09 11:12:18

Babies..I didn't suggest there was one right way, and I wouldn't have thought my post could be interpreted that leaving things later meant flipping six years old!

There are always exceptions, but on the whole, my experience in RL and on mumsnet is that 2 - 2.6 is about the optimum age for getting dry - that's all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now