Talk

Advanced search

What time does your 9 year old go to bed?

(17 Posts)
AuntyQuated Tue 03-May-05 21:47:37

and what time do they go to sleep?

AuntyQuated Tue 03-May-05 21:48:53

dd goes to bed about 8.30 but regularly, like tonight she's still awake at 10. are we being unreasonable in expecting her to sleep before 9.

i haven't had a 9 year old before

wordgirl Tue 03-May-05 21:52:16

Hi AuntyQuated. My 9 year old is exactly the same. He has to be in his room by 8.30 and sometimes goes straight to sleep but sometimes is still awake when I go to bed!
I don't think there's anything you can do really. You can make sure they are in bed and that the light is switched off but you can't make them go to sleep. It's really annoying isn't it.

MarsLady Tue 03-May-05 21:53:03

My 10 year old goes at 8 and tends to be asleep by 8.30pm I tend to let her read for a while, but make sure to go in after 10 mins otherwise she'll read all night!

AuntyQuated Tue 03-May-05 21:53:44

she wants to go to sleep, but says she doesn't even feel tired. plus she is upset if we go to bed and she is still awake. she's reading now

assumedname Tue 03-May-05 22:12:30

8.30 is bed time but she is allowed to have her bedside light on and read or listen to music (quietly).

She is regularly awake at 10. I've found the best thing for her is lots and lots of play in the garden after school.

roisin Tue 03-May-05 22:16:31

They vary such a lot though don't they? DS1 is nearly 8 - so not really relevant for your 'survey'. But a year ago he was a wreck if he didn't get 12 hrs sleep, now 10-10.5 is plenty.

He goes to bed at 7 pm and reads for ages. Lights off 8.30 or 9 weekdays, 10 pm weekends and holidays, and he goes to sleep within half an hr usually.

If the 'going to sleep' starts to slip I offer them 2 marbles (reward system) if they're asleep within 30 mins, 1 marble for 60 mins. Also they get a marble fine for every book or torch I find in their bed ... LOL!

saintshar Tue 03-May-05 22:23:49

They are all different aren't they roisin?

DS1 who is 9 still needs a lot of sleep - as much if not more than DS2 who is 3!!

On a school night he goes to bed at 8ish, and gets up at 8, so he has 12 hrs a night. On a Weekend less though.

He told me today that he is on the next school council meeting, where children tell teachers what they want from school, what they would change etc..

He said that he was going to recommend that school starts much later, because he is always tired!

I thought to myself...'how much sleep does he want?!!!!!!!!!!!'

sallystrawberry Tue 03-May-05 22:27:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sallystrawberry Tue 03-May-05 22:29:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenEagle Tue 03-May-05 22:31:17

I have a ds aged 9. He has always needed lots of sleep - takes after me for that I'm afraid!!

He goes to bed at the very latest by 8pm and instantly falls asleep and has to set his alarm for 7.45am otherwise he'd sleep a good 13 hours a night.

Misspiggy Tue 03-May-05 22:34:12

Roisin - your marbles sound so much better than Supernanny's "balls" (Don't know if you watch it?) My DS 15 came in half way through last week's prog when SN was telling off one of the children and told him she was taking away one of his balls. After doing a double take at the TV he said "God...and I thought YOU were strict Mum!" My other DS (just turned 9) goes up at 8pm on schooldays and is usually asleep within 15-20 mins. It's 9pm at weekends / hols but he can have a video (see...I'm not that strict!) They are all different tho' My older DS ( the 15 yr old) has always had trouble sleeping. He went up at the same times when he was 9 years old but I would let him read cos there's nothing worse than just lying there is there? Does your DD seem tired in the morning?...if not I wouldn't worry.

bev1e Tue 03-May-05 23:05:17

My dd1 has just turned 10 and is allowed to go to bed at 9pm whatever day of the week it is UNLESS I think she is looking particularly pale and tired. She's ususally still awake when I go to bed at about 10pm complaining that there is too much to think about before going to sleep. She's not allowed to watch TV during the evening unless it's something particularly special and often complains that she is the only one in her class who has never seen EastEnders! She understands that in order to stay up until 9pm she has to be doing something constructive with her time i.e. reading, chatting with us, etc...

bensmum3 Sat 07-May-05 08:16:47

Wow, How do you cope with your 9 year olds up to 8pm and past ? I like to have some free time in the evening, dd (now 10) goes to bed between 7 and 7.30, she then reads for up to an hour, I love her very much, but it's lovely once she's in bed.

miam Sat 07-May-05 08:52:26

My 10yo and 11yo dds go to bed about 9.00. But as they are not at school, they can have a longer lie-in than most children so I don't mind them staying up a little longer occasionally.

Goldfish Sat 07-May-05 09:44:28

My 10 and 11 year olds got to bed at about 8.30 to 9. It used to be between 8 and 8.30 but it has gradually got later. They do stay up until about 10 on a Friday night though. They both lie in at the weekends so I rarely have to get up before 9 on a weekend

suedonim Sat 07-May-05 13:04:24

My 9yo goes to bed between 9-9.30 and to sleep around 11pm. Wish I could get her into bed at 7.30! She just doesn't need the sleep and is up bright and early next morning, sigh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now