Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

22 mths - no words

(39 Posts)
DaddyCool Wed 27-Apr-05 12:58:30

ok, he's now 22 months and still no words. please 1. tell me this is normal 2. suggest something i can do to egg on the speech other than read him books and talk to him clearly.

i've been on before talking about this but i just can't believe my little boy just isn't talking yet. everything else seems fine, just this.

colditz Wed 27-Apr-05 13:00:56

DC mine has just turned 2, and just (a week ago!) started talking. It was like someone flipped a switch in his head!

mizmiz Wed 27-Apr-05 13:03:35

Very general rule of thumb is...
1 year=1 word
2 years=2 words
and so on..
I would ask your HV for a referral to a salt (I am one btw) just to check that his general development is as it should be.
Are you concerned about anything else?
How is his play,socialbilty,eye contact and so on?

Nemo1977 Wed 27-Apr-05 13:03:35

DC what do u mean by no words..as in nothing at all or just a few?
If he has a few then i wouldnt worry but if he literally cant say anything not even mum dad etc then maybe call HV

DaddyCool Wed 27-Apr-05 13:03:51

really! so, did he say anything remotely recognisable before that?

PsychoFlame Wed 27-Apr-05 13:03:56

From what I can gather, some seem to be perfectionists, and don't want to speak til they can do full sentences straight away

motherinferior Wed 27-Apr-05 13:06:12

DC, I can't remember if you told me he burbled or not?

DaddyCool Wed 27-Apr-05 13:06:20

he plays well but he doesn't really do any pretending or anything. he just pushes cars around and bashes on things like drums etc.

he doesn't know any words. he says mamamamam and dadadaa but they are really just sounds and aren't really directed at us.

DaddyCool Wed 27-Apr-05 13:06:51

by 'burbling' what do you mean?

mizmiz Wed 27-Apr-05 13:07:18

Interested in books?

mizmiz Wed 27-Apr-05 13:07:57

babbling/burbling..

bababababa
mamamamam
dadadadad
gagagagaga

and so on

motherinferior Wed 27-Apr-05 13:08:24

Babbling.

I think that for your peace of mind you should get a referral to a SALT through your HV.

mancmum Wed 27-Apr-05 13:08:28

totally totally normal -- well it is in my house!! My DS did not have a single word until he was over 2 and then one day a switch must have flipped and he started talking in almost perfect sentances... My DD is 22 months and can not say anything clearly yet -- atempts but not what I would call a real word...she understands loads thogh as did DS at asme age and so I am not worried... enjoy the peace!!

Nemo1977 Wed 27-Apr-05 13:08:40

Dc does he point at stuff or imitate ur behaviour etc..like my ds will try to make sounds like his dad even if its a certains laugh or car sounds etc

Lonelymum Wed 27-Apr-05 13:09:44

Get a referral to a speech therapist. Not that I think your son needs to see one, but it will put your mind at rest. My ds1 saw a speech therapist when 26 months and he had no words. Even during the consultaion, however, the ST was able to identify a couple of "words" (not said correctly, but the same sound for the same thing so she said that was a word.) Ds1's speech was poor for his age until he was about 5 (by that I mean his pronunciation, rather than his vocabulary) but his school report for Year One (when he had been speaking for only 3 years in total) described him as articulate and having a good vocabulary. We were stunned and delighted! Clearly he had caught up, although English is still not his best subject at school. Your son is probably going to be a mathematician or scientist. But go to the speech therapist as she will be able to reassure you in the first place.

DaddyCool Wed 27-Apr-05 13:10:26

very interested in books. grabs them from the pile and brings them to us. we start reading them but he loses interest fast. Except for the ones with picture flaps etc. he likes opening the flaps.

Lonelymum Wed 27-Apr-05 13:11:34

5 minutes is probably enough for any child your son's age (looking at books I mean).

motherinferior Wed 27-Apr-05 13:12:00

Flaps are big with my younger daughter too, who's the same age.

You need the reassurance, DC.

DaddyCool Wed 27-Apr-05 13:13:44

pointing is there, imitating is there, babbling is certainly there. i've pretty much ruled out any autism issues now. i just want to concentrate on his speech. i think if by the time he's 2 and still not saying any words, i'll get a referral to a SALT.

is there anything i should be doing to help him along or do i just wait and listen?

mizmiz Wed 27-Apr-05 13:13:52

Got to go, but please go dc. You may even be able to self refer (as my department does).
Even if there are no problems (as will be most likely) the salt will be delighted to put your mind at rest (book stuff v encouraging btw,esp the bit about bringing them to you. )

Lonelymum Wed 27-Apr-05 13:14:55

Sometimes you don't even need your HV to refer you to a Speech therapist. I took ds2 to see one too (different problem: he is a stammerer) and that was without a referral. The health centre had a walk-in clinic for speech problems about once every fortnight or month I think. That was in London.

motherinferior Wed 27-Apr-05 13:15:22

Just chat to him. We learn language by hearing it around us.

I do know, I was getting rather worried with dd2 but she's suddenly got the hang of words, and I fear is heading for the same constant conversation as her sister.

Lonelymum Wed 27-Apr-05 13:15:46

Yes you must go. They will give you loads of advice and information.

elliott Wed 27-Apr-05 13:18:53

What is his understanding like? What is his non verbal communication like - how does he indicate his wants? Does he have any 'words' at all - even if they are nothing like real words, if they are consistently applied to mean the same thing that counts too. Animal noises?
I'm no expert but I know what its like worrying about these things. ds2 is 17 months and whilst I was aware he was slower than ds1 at picking up language, I thought he was kind of ok - then I went for dinner with half a dozen mums of other 17 month olds who all had dozens and dozens of words - I felt instantly paranoid.
I usually recommend Sally Ward's 'babytalk' as a good description both of normal language development and of how to talk to babies and toddlers in a helpful way. however I haven't been able to bring myself to read it this time round as I know that ds2 is way behind her milestones and it will depress me. however if you can get beyond that you might find it interesting and useful.

ds2 has about 3 words - hiya, bye bye and quack. he can however understand quite a lot, and has good non-verbal communication. he initiates lots of peekaboo type games and will copy things like hugging or kissing a toy. He burbles away in nonsensical babble all the time. So while I know that he is slower than average in terms of his words, I am not fundamentally worried (ha! who am I trying to kid!) - I don't think he has a developmental problem iyswim.

FLUM Wed 27-Apr-05 13:20:38

Put radio 4 on all day. My poor dd gets that.

My dd is only 15 months. Came out with 'onoematapia' the other day

can probably spell it too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now