Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help. she wont sleep

(21 Posts)
Luscious Tue 26-Apr-05 11:24:41

hi.

my dd is 17mtnhs and has taken to waking up betwween 2 and 4am babbling - getting louder and louder . there is no reason for it but its keeping everyone awake how can i get her to go to sleep.

did anyone else have this problem?

arghhhhhh

sallycinnamon Tue 26-Apr-05 13:57:27

Does she go back to sleep at all?

Clayhead Tue 26-Apr-05 14:06:42

Both of mine have done the 2-4 waking thing when they've been teething, especially with molars. I used to give Calpol on waking but, apart from that, just rode it out and it eventually stopped. They would do this even when there were few daytime symptoms.

Luscious Thu 28-Apr-05 13:17:50

yes but. last night was awful 1:30am till 5am.

shes not in pain. not hungry , not upset.

shes just babbling but its getting into a bad habit.

any ideas on how to cure it?

HappyMumof2 Thu 28-Apr-05 14:34:44

Message withdrawn

Luscious Thu 28-Apr-05 21:30:04

yeah.

my only problem is shes not crying, in fact shes possitively happy, playing with her toys, for hours on end.

ive cut her nap down from 2 hrs to 1hr. im gonna try no nap at all and a half hour later bedtime.

but what do i do if that doesnt work.

todays shes had an hour(because i had to go out and she was in the pram), she went to baed at 7:30pm and was asleep by 7:45pm.

the same as yesterday and she was up for hours.

what can i do. do i go and lie her down and say "sleep now" as if she was physically getting out of bed?

do i try a sedative to make her realise nights for sleeping?

any other ideas?

im desperate. im shattered.

PaigeMorgan Sat 30-Apr-05 19:35:19

bump

PaigeMorgan Mon 02-May-05 19:41:41

hasnt anyone been through, this or know how to help??

Luscious Mon 02-May-05 22:09:57

look i know theres a lot of threads on sleeping.

but as far as im aware this is the only one where my dd stays awake playing from 1am-5am.

im amm as stressed out as the come right now. and im am awake the entire time.

i thought if i came on here someone would understand and give me some advice. so far even tho i have recieved tiny amount of advice that i am grateful for i expected more help.

im tired. and unlike my dd i cant sleep in the day, need to do housework and will need to do college work soon at night. so i need help so that i can actually get more than 2 hrs sleep a night!!!!!

HappyMumof2 Tue 03-May-05 13:04:27

Message withdrawn

FLUM Tue 03-May-05 13:09:48

mine does this sometimes too,same age. must admit she sleeps with her door closed and when she wakes up and starts chatting and babbling. i just close our door and try to go back to sleep.

is difficult i guess to sleep with any noise when you are a mummy but.....

wouldn't worry as she seems fine. is normal for people to wake up in night and she sounds very independant. its good

HappyMumof2 Tue 03-May-05 13:17:34

Message withdrawn

titchy Tue 03-May-05 13:30:28

What are her sleeping arrangements? Is she in your room? Is she in a cot? Are there toys in the cot?

All I can suggest is that you put her in her own room if that's possible with the door firlmy shut, make sure her room is very dark (blackout curtains are great) with just a faint night light. Make sure there are no toys wihtin reach of her. Put her to bed a bit later than normal, restrict the quantity of day time sleep and make sure she is up at the same time each day - do not let her lie in. In theory of she goes to bed at 8 and is got up at 7 and only has 1 hour's nap in the day she shoudl be tired enough to sleep through. If not you will have to try experimening with later bed times or earlier getting up times.

Don't give her a sedative. She does not have a sleep problem (you do!), and she will come to be dependent on the sedative to go to sleep, and possibly develop a dependency on the sedative itself.

By the way referring to your 10.09pm post - I'm sure if anyone had read this and been abel ot offer advice they would have done - don't take it personally that they didn't or as a failing of Mumsnet. Have you tried posting on the sleep threads?

HTH.

WideWebWitch Tue 03-May-05 20:30:32

Agree, put her in another room and if she's happy and not crying then you ought to do your best to sleep through it, there is no problem really if she's happy and ok during the day. The only other thing I can think of is trying to get her to walk as much as pos during the day, wear her out a bit more. I know the knackered feeling, my dd only started sleeping through a month ago and she's 18 months. Not funny.

Btw, you can't demand that people post to you you know! Sometimes they'll be someone who can help, sometimes there won't!

lilybubble Tue 03-May-05 20:41:45

Hiya, my dd also only started sleeping through in January, when she was 18 months. I agree totally - not fun! She also did the waking in the middle of the night thing, and after a few nights of this, I worked out the best thing to do was to sit quietly on the sofa with TV on - not her programmes, but just whatever, cuddle her to me, and she would eventually go off. It did mean that I sometimes spent most of the night sleeping on the sofa, but it did help her to get back off to sleep quicker than when I let her play with toys. She was the same, perfectly happy to be up and play. Very strange! It didn't last all that long though (though certainly felt like it at the time).

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Luscious Tue 03-May-05 20:55:41

This helps a lot.

sorry about my earlier post. really shouldn't have been on that day- had recieved word that exp was being a pill**k.

sorry for taking it out on u lot.

am i forgiven?

How long did ur dd last with the waking and babbling lilybubble?

lilybubble Tue 03-May-05 21:30:37

hi again. i think she lasted about 2 months with it, but it was on and off, not every night.

I really do understand how you feel, as I was working part-time back then, and of course she only seemed to do it nights before I had to work. Exhausting. She is still not a good sleeper now. I've posted another thread, and hoping for some useful tips; it's always good to know that others have been through the same thing - it always feels as though you are the only one in the world going through it and every other baby is angelic and sleeps perfectly!! (Does to me anyway).

Best of luck, and keep us posted. Does she go to sleep early btw? Mine goes to bed late, and was generally waking after about 3 hours sleep.....?

aloha Tue 03-May-05 21:36:50

I agree with everyone that you should just shut the doors between you and her, and ignore it and try to sleep. YOu can't force her sleep and she isn't yelling. Maybe earplugs? I'm not being funny.

WideWebWitch Wed 04-May-05 09:51:34

lucious, it's fine, hope today is a better day and you find a solution to this

ChocCake Wed 04-May-05 13:54:25

My DD is now 27months and she's slept through since 1yo. She's not done what you explained at 17mths. So I'm not sure if I can help.

But was just wondering if it has anything to do with her diet? What's her sleep pattern like in the day?

Just FYI, my DD sleeps in her own room, in her cot with soft toys in her cot. Sometimes she wakes early in the morning, like 7am, and she would just sit and play on her own. And then goes back to sleep. As I hadn't gone to get her, she knows its still bedtime

Orinoco Thu 05-May-05 23:39:17

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now