Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

just given up dummy- wildness at bedtime!!

(6 Posts)
Tissy Mon 25-Apr-05 20:17:22

Dd(3) has this week given up using a dummy, without any prompting from us; one night she forgot to ask for it after her story, and ever since, she has gone off without it. She knows it's not coming back, as this morning she saw the cup where we kept her dummies and asked to look at them (I'd already stashed them elsewhere!). When I said she was a big girl now, and I was thinking of sending her dummies to a baby who didn't have any, she just said "okay", and semed fine with idea.

HOWEVER...ever since then she has been an absolute nightmare at bed time. From a tired girl who would drop off happily in 5 minutes after her light was put off, she has gone to a little demon who will spend as long as possible bouncing on her bed, singing, clapping, telling her barbie stories...anything NOT to go to sleep. It's taken an hour this evening, and ended with both of us in tears, as she banged her head whilst thrashing about!

I've tried ignoring the behaviour, but it goes on just as long.

I'm tempted to bring the dummy back....

aloha Mon 25-Apr-05 20:18:50

what happens if you just leave the room? I don't mind if ds sings and talks as long as he is in bed. Mind you he still has his dummy!

PrettyCandles Mon 25-Apr-05 20:36:50

Give her a chance - a week isn't long. Just give her her last bedtime cuddle and 'Good Night' etc, then walk out of the room. Do not return. If you feel her behaviour is getting out of hand and feel you have to, then go back, put her quietly in bed, say nothing but something along the lines of 'Bed time now. Good night sweetheart.' and leave again.

It's like cc all over again.

Tissy Mon 25-Apr-05 20:39:06

hmm leaving the room results in inconsolable wailing!

Might have to harden my heart again. Have never done cc, actually, but suppose I could try...

PrettyCandles Tue 26-Apr-05 09:25:28

If it breaks your heart you don't have to put yourself through it. Once she starts crying you could try going in after a minute, then after 3mins, then 5, then 10 and so on. The important thing to remember is never to 'reward' her for her crying. You make it very subdued and boring, just reassure her by the fact that you do respond and let her know what you expect.

Pinotmum Wed 27-Apr-05 13:27:28

My dd and ds can make their bedtime routine last for hours and then insist you lie with them. Well, I decided enough was enough as I have things to do so we have given them a cd/tape player and after either dh or I have read a couple of bedtime stories we put on a tape or cd story and leave the room. We have been doing this for 3 weeks now and the first week was terrible but now they like it and I have time t myself for a change. However, ds still has a dummy so haven't cracked that yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now