Talk

Advanced search

laying on their front

(18 Posts)
mckenzie Sat 23-Apr-05 08:12:08

at what age should I start putting DD on her front for short periods of time please? I should remember from DS but I can't.

SPARKLER1 Sat 23-Apr-05 08:14:31

Ooh now you're asking. My yongest is 3 now - it's funny how you forget so quickly.
How old is your dd now?

honeybunny Sat 23-Apr-05 08:43:06

I've been putting dd on her tummy for short spells since birth. For baby massage and now more for play. She's 20weeks old. I'm sure i did the same for ds1+2 but neither enjoyed it greatly. dd on the other hand manages a good 20mins before fatigue sets in and the grizzles start!

mckenzie Sat 23-Apr-05 15:30:01

DD is 6 weeks old.

SenoraPostrophe Sat 23-Apr-05 15:32:34

start now, but stop if she doesn't like it.

ambrosia Sat 23-Apr-05 15:45:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

frankie26 Tue 10-May-05 20:17:27

hi, my DS has slept on front from birth, my DD put on front from about four weeks old. it is good for their necks and if they like it then do it often they seem to start to move around earlier. good luck

hana Tue 10-May-05 20:45:26

babies should be having tummy time from birth - you'll know when they've had enough, but don't leave her alone ever when she's on her tummy. dd2 is 4 months and is trying so so hard to crawl ( dd1 crawled at 5 months, really! but didn't walk until about 1)

nailpolish Tue 10-May-05 20:57:20

i would just start now, see how she does. she might get fed up quickly, not being able to lift her wee head up but i think its good to start asap. my dd's liked it naked before and after bathtime on my bed!

actually they liked it so much they both slept on their fronts from about 2 days old

moondog Tue 10-May-05 21:14:11

Isn't current advice telling us not to put babies on their front to sleep because of increased risk of cot death though!

Just thought that needed to be pointed out....

NP,complete aside,butyou know you were saying on a thread the other day that most MRSA is brought into wards by outsiders (ie not patients)?
Does that mean that all this stuff about it being 'caused' by dirty hospitals is just political skullduggery?

LunarSea Wed 11-May-05 15:08:40

ds preferred being on his front almost from the word go. He'd sussed rolling from back to front at 8 weeks (after having been attempting it for several weeks before that) and from then on it was difficult to persuade his to stay on his back at all. Recommendations that they sleep on their backs are all well and good, but I'm afraid that once he could roll over both ways at will, I wasn't going to be getting up every few minutes to flip him back.

There's probably something in what frankie26 says about it being good for their necks, because ds, like hana's, crawled at 5 months.

frankie26 Wed 11-May-05 20:58:19

maybe current advice but you do what settles baby best - my DS would only sleep for 10 mins on back then jump in sleep and wake crying - when put on front slept fine for long periods of time. was very worried to begin with but as soon as he could lift head (about 3 wks old) worry stopped. health visitor didn't though she kept telling me off - he is now 10mths and still sleeps on front even though he can roll over. DD who is 23mths slept on back upto 5mths then went on to front.

charleepeters Wed 11-May-05 21:00:46

my ds hates being on his front and scrams as soon as i try to put him on it, im worried he will never crawl because of it any suggestions (sorry dont want to steal your thread mckenzie)

hana Wed 11-May-05 21:52:31

charleepeters - it really is good for your son, try a time when he is happy, full belly, clean nappy etc etc, even if it's just for 10 seconds - buld it up. it is important to build their muscles and strength up. good luck. dds never liked it either at the beginning

LunarSea Fri 13-May-05 14:44:58

charlee - you could always try something like this . No idea where you could get one in the uk, though there are several listed on German Ebay.

nailpolish Fri 13-May-05 14:48:50

MD i know the advice these days is to lay them on their backs, but its advice not the law. surely thats up to me?

flum Fri 13-May-05 14:50:16

mmmm for a bit of play time I guess a coupld of months. mine hated it to start with

dinny Sat 14-May-05 06:34:14

started putting ds on front from a couple of weeks, I think Mckenzie. as soon as he could roll he started sleeping on front too.
Charlee, dd hated being on her front and didn't crawl till 11 months. ds loved it and crawled at 6. but it's much easier when they're not crawling - honestly!! [smile} you may find your ds more interesting in sitting and walking - dd only crawled for 3 weeks. if ds hates it, don't worry about putting him on his front, imo x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now