Talk

Advanced search

Dd told me why she doesn't talk at nursery

(36 Posts)
Wallace Thu 21-Apr-05 20:09:17

I asked her outright, and this was her reply:

"The air in my voice machine goes down my pipes to the place where my wee-wee is made, so there is no air left in my voice machine. When all the air is gone from my voice machine, then there is no air left for my talking"

Make of that what you will

Hausfrau Thu 21-Apr-05 20:09:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hunkermunker Thu 21-Apr-05 20:11:46

Well, it's an explanation, of that there is no doubt! LOL!

Tissy Thu 21-Apr-05 20:11:52

so clearly she doesn't have a problem with speech, she is just choosing to keep schtum! Well done your dd!

jellyhead Thu 21-Apr-05 20:13:15

Wasn't that just the answer you were expecting?

trix Thu 21-Apr-05 20:18:18

Why?, isnt that what happens?

Wallace Thu 21-Apr-05 20:36:12

I did wonder for a minute or two if she was trying to describe butterflies in her tummy, or needing a wee because she feels anxious...then I thought...Nah, she's talking codswallop, I asked the question expecting an answer, so she gave me one

trix Thu 21-Apr-05 20:53:36

Priceless! Cant wait til my little boy can come up with utter nonsense.

Wallace Thu 21-Apr-05 20:58:31

she also informed me that her voice machine fills up with air after nursery so she can talk again

They really are priceless

trix Thu 21-Apr-05 21:04:29

Excellent, and I thought I was in for a boring night in!

milward Thu 21-Apr-05 21:06:06

Lovely description

Wallace Thu 21-Apr-05 21:09:23

I could give you a few more laughs by telling you that she recently described her ice-cream as "malicious" instead of "delicious" , and when offering us some salad she asked if anyone would like any "Leopards"...she meant "lettuce" of course!

NotQuiteCockney Thu 21-Apr-05 21:10:22

My DS1 loves to make explanations like this. He'll often say "I'm sorry for behaving badly, Mummy, I just had some bodily fluids." Lots of things, it turns out, are caused by "bodily fluids".

Wallace Thu 21-Apr-05 21:14:49

Tell him he was caused by bodily fluids and see what he thinks of that ;)

Ellbell Fri 22-Apr-05 10:37:07

LOL @ bodily fluids.

My dd2 (3) calls lettuce 'tennis'.

Best exchange from my dd1 (who was 3 at the time):

DD: My childminder says that if you eat carrots you can see in the dark.
Me: Yes, that's right. Carrots make you see in the dark.
DD: Good. I'm going to eat lots of carrots then, and then, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I'll be able to see if it's light yet or not and I'll know whether or not I need to go back to sleep.
Me: Um.....

starlover Fri 22-Apr-05 11:05:56

little boy i looked after used to call playgroup "grapefruit"

Saker Fri 22-Apr-05 20:10:19

My ds1 once told me he had had lemon meringu'tan for lunch .

Twiglett Fri 22-Apr-05 20:11:39

that sounds like she's getting nervous (butterflies? anxiety?) .. what a beautifully eloquent child

Saker Fri 22-Apr-05 21:22:01

Sorry you are still having these problems Wallace. I guess that the puppet / doll idea hasn't helped?

saadia Fri 22-Apr-05 21:39:09

Wallace, just thought I would mention that when I started nursery I never spoke - I honestly thought that if I did my voice would run out. I remember that people used to ask me if I had a tongue.

And my mum loves reminding me of the fact that as soon as I came out of nursery I would start talking non-stop, as though a tape recorder had been switched on.

Does she not speak at all at nursery?

Wallace Fri 22-Apr-05 21:51:58

No, she doesn't talk at all.
I haven't suggested the puppet idea yet. I talked to her teachers this week, and they want to give her a couple more weeks to settle back in after the holidays, before they talk to the headteacher. At that point I will suggest the puppet idea and see what they think

Slink Wed 27-Apr-05 15:09:10

A professor i see in the future..........

Wallace Wed 27-Apr-05 15:12:53

sweetheart Wed 27-Apr-05 15:45:45

Wallace my dd had a problem similar to this when she was at nursery. Her key worker diagosed her with something called "selective muteness"

Whenever my daughter feels usder too much pressure she chooses to mute herself as a method of protection. She has grown out of it quite alot (she's nearly 5 now) but still has the odd bout of it. I.e. when she is asked a question by an adult she doesn't know very well.

Perhaps you could look into this - there are lots of methods to combat it - the main thing is to not draw attention to it.

almostanangel Wed 27-Apr-05 15:49:38

my dd 2 didnt talk at all at school till she was 8 and dd3 is 8 next week and she has just started talking at school and thats only because we moved and she is at a new school with an old fasioned teacher who has told her she will speak! she still doesnt talk to the other children but has loads of friends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now