Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone get so upset by babies crying in supermarkets?

(26 Posts)
ks Thu 21-Apr-05 12:31:41

Message withdrawn

debs26 Thu 21-Apr-05 12:43:28

its awful isnt it? i managed to escape the kids and go shopping on my own and there was a baby crying all the way round asda. instead of the big once monthly shop i intended to do i did the quick dash round i do when kids are there because i got so stressed. only realised when i got back to car and could no longer hear crying that the problem had been the baby

bee3 Thu 21-Apr-05 12:45:20

I know exactly what you mean. This morning in Tescos there was a mum with a tiny baby (looked about 8 weeks) who was just crying and crying. Poor woman was dashing round trying to get shopping done with baby in a carseat facing her. You could hear where she was from every aisle in the shop. I tried to give her a sympathetic smile, but she wasn't making eye contact with anyone. I could have cried for her and the baby. Then as I went through the tills, she joined the next till up, baby still crying. A lovely old lady asked if it would help if she held the babe while mum put her shopping through, and mum agreed. Next thing we have is a gorgeous smiley baby being shown around, looking out the window and chatted too by everyone. Really nice to see

debs26 Thu 21-Apr-05 12:45:48

not that i am blaming the parents or anything, mine make noise too! i think its just something you get programmed into you, like when you stand there rocking the shopping trolley and there is no child in it (or maybe thats just me)

iota Thu 21-Apr-05 12:46:36

ha my only thought is relief that it's not me dragging around a fractious baby - been there, done that

JanH Thu 21-Apr-05 12:48:24

ks, when I worked on the checkouts in Sainsburys and a baby was crying like this it used to make me tense and anxious and long to go and pick it up. I wonder if the sound affects men the same way?

ks Thu 21-Apr-05 12:50:16

Message withdrawn

Moomin Thu 21-Apr-05 12:54:41

I remember being in a supermarket when dd was a few weeks old; my c-section scar was killing me, there was no way I could get away with not being there (had to get formula, nappies, food for me and dh!) and dd was wailing for England. The sweat was running down my back, I thought I was going to die of stress and I think if ONE SINGLE person had come up to me and said something along the lines of 'oh that baby wants feeding' I'd have killed them with my bare hands, on the spot!

BROWNY Thu 21-Apr-05 12:55:25

Debs26, guess what - you're not alone in rocking a trolley minus baby! I'm always doing it! Now and again dh stays in the car with ds, while I rush in to grab a few things - don't you just feel like the ground opening up and swallowing you - you look around and hope no-one has noticed!!

I know that when I hear babies crying (especially in mums and toddlers) I just want to scoop up the poor baba and give him/her a cuddle and make her feel better - unfortunately this happens a lot in our local M & T's session, as there is a large clique of childminders who seem to think that they are there just to catch up on the gossip from the other childminders, so poor little ones get stuck in baby walkers/bouncy chairs while they gab, drink coffee and ignore their cries!

Last week, I even offered one poor baby a teething powder as the poor mite's cheeks were flaming red and his crying was pittiful !

Lucycat Thu 21-Apr-05 12:59:49

There's a lot to be said for shopping online.......

then you can walk screaming baby around the block, where it never seems quite so bad. It must be the acoustics of supermarkets, clearly designed by men.......

sallycinnamon Thu 21-Apr-05 18:59:18

I think if a lovely old lady had offered to pick up my dd I would have cried! (Was very hormonal for many months )I used to feel like everyone was watching us when dd screamed. Now dd is a toddler I couldn't give a monkeys how loud she screamed in Tescos! I agree though babies are different. This thread has made me think about how insecure I was about taking her anywhere. I was soooo bothered by what people might think.

bobbybob Fri 22-Apr-05 03:30:38

Nah, if it's not mine I tune it out. I have been known to come to a complete stop, pick ds up for a cuddle and sing songs for 5 minutes before carrying on though. But only before I have purchased frozen stuff.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 22-Apr-05 06:32:39

Babies crying don't bug me much - it's people squabbling with their kids that gets me upset. Threatening to hit them, that sort of thing. I overheard a mum threaten to lock her kid in the trunk of the car, last weekend. I'm sure she wasn't actually going to do it, but what a horrid thing to say! (And how stupid, to threaten something you're (hopefully) not willing to do)

FairyMum Fri 22-Apr-05 07:22:22

I am the same as NQC. It's the people arguing with their kids who get to me. Other babies cries hardly register on my radar.

misdee Fri 22-Apr-05 07:25:39

dd3 hates being in her car seat. she screams as soon as she goes in it, and weill carry on till she falls asleep. if i had enough room in the car for a lie flat one i'd have bought that one. if i take her in a shop still in the car seat she'll scream again.

i tend to do my shopping online.

bobbybob Fri 22-Apr-05 08:12:41

People being mean to children hits my radar too. I have to get away from them (the parents - the children I want to scoop up and take back home).

tigermoth Fri 22-Apr-05 08:26:48

Your ds is 8 now, KS? doesn't time fly.

Sometimes, hearing a persistant baby cry gets me too. What also worries me are very passive toddlers in pushchairs. Not the pushchair thing as such, just a lack of reaction and chattering. I find that strange if it goes on for a long time. But that's probably because my sons were very lively, noisy toddlers.

trix Fri 22-Apr-05 08:55:34

Nope, it doesnt get me, I just think 'thank god its not me!', but as some of you say its theshouting at them that does it. I once witnessed a father dragging his son, literally by his hair , on his knees, whilst shouting and swearing about what he would do if he didnt behave. I always said that I'd intervene (sp?) if I saw anything like that, but I was too scared. I cant imagine want the poor kid felt like .

WideWebWitch Fri 22-Apr-05 18:09:57

doesn't bother me in the least, I just think phew, Not My Problem

essbee Fri 22-Apr-05 18:12:59

Message withdrawn

Rinkydink Sun 24-Apr-05 19:58:55

If the mum / dad is looking stressed i offer sympathetic smiles and little words of ...no comfort, actually! But when the baby is being ignored , child being threatened, harshly told off then i do feel like whisking them away. But when my two play up, i have a look of thunder, and anyone comes near me i just glare at them!! Get round the shop and get out quick!

tiggerintum Sun 24-Apr-05 20:00:39

Children should not be allowed in supermarkets, either that or supermarkets should provide creche's so that you dont have to let your little cherubs scream round the shop

zebraX Sun 24-Apr-05 20:18:03

Babies crying, esp. very little ones, upsets me hugely. I am hugely hormonal about it, I have to run away from the sound.

tiffini Sun 24-Apr-05 20:20:07

i panic when a baby is crying, including my own

Fimbo Sun 24-Apr-05 20:24:33

Tiggerintum-when I lived in Scotland a few Safeways had creches. It was great and dd used to love going, sometimes we would end up going even if we didn't need anything - dh & I would end up sitting in the cafe waiting for her time to be up!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now