Talk

Advanced search

Is it just a phase?

(5 Posts)
Leogaela Thu 21-Apr-05 12:08:29

DS is 8 weeks now. He seems to be becoming very mummy focused which i find a bit worrying! The most worrying thing at the moment is that if he cries dh can do NOTHING to calm him down. Last night he cried for a hour (while I slept and didn't hear a thing) while dh tried everything to settle him back to sleep. He didn't want to wake me as i was exhausted. When I did wake up I took him off dh and he stopped crying instantly!
This is very deflating and disappointing for dh and makes me worry about leaving him at all!

Will he get over this soon? What can we do to change it?

motherofboys Fri 22-Apr-05 10:48:54

He WILL get over it. It is important that your DH doesn't stop trying and get deflated - he is only a baby after all and you need to sleep. As long as DS has food, a clean nappy and is not full of wind. Don't encourage over reliance on mum - they have enough of you as it is!!

starlover Fri 22-Apr-05 11:03:27

my ds did this too... but now at 10 weeks is getting better.
He still prefers me to cuddle him to sleep, but will go with dp.
I think it's just the sense of security... if your breastfeeding then you will smell of yummy milk, and yuo probably look after him all day whereas your dh is out at work.
He is only tiny, and needs to feel nice and secure and he is just letting you know that!
But he will get better.. and as motherofboys has said, get your dh to keep trying. Make sure he has plenty of cuddles when ds isn't tired/hungry etc

Chuffed Fri 22-Apr-05 11:05:32

It is a phase, dd used me for feeds etc but would only settle when upset with dh.
Try wearing a muslin under your shirt for a day or so so it smells like you then have your dh drape it over his should when he cuddles ds, he'll then smell a bit like you.
Just keep trying and let your dh have fun time with you there as well so he doesn't just get the upset times.
Good luck, just remember EVERYTHING is just a phase and when you get one thing cracked another pops it's head up.

Leogaela Mon 25-Apr-05 12:56:16

thanks for the support and advice! At weekends dh did as much as possible for ds and by the end of the weekend ds started to settle better with him which is encouraging. he even took expressed milk from a bottle from dh which is the first time. We'll try the idea of a putting something on his shoulder that smells of me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now