Talk

Advanced search

DD practically hyperventilates when she gets upset

(8 Posts)
swiperfox Wed 20-Apr-05 21:19:56

It really worries me. Most of the time when she cries/gets upset it's like she's having apanic attack. I've had them and I know how they made me feel and how close I've come to blacking out due to a lack of oxygen and it worries me how this will affect a 3 year old.
Has anyone else experienced this?

sahara Wed 20-Apr-05 21:26:54

My 6 yr old Ds1 has started doing that aswell. He begins to hyperbentilate when he is worried about anything. Today we drove past a car on fire on the motorway and it took me the rest of the journey to get him to breathe properly.
A few weeks ago I had to call out an ambulance because he actually thought he was going to die.
I don't know what to do but I'm going to carry on watching this thread in the hope that you get some good advice.
I feel for you as it is scary to see your kid like that and yours is even younger.

swiperfox Thu 21-Apr-05 09:13:08

Hi Sahara - was there anything that you think might have started it off with your ds?
Our dd has done it since she was tiny -although ii think the fact that we argued a lot quite loudly may have brought it on in her as I can't think of any other reason why she would do it.

swiperfox Thu 21-Apr-05 09:13:12

Hi Sahara - was there anything that you think might have started it off with your ds?
Our dd has done it since she was tiny -although ii think the fact that we argued a lot quite loudly may have brought it on in her as I can't think of any other reason why she would do it.

sahara Fri 22-Apr-05 10:31:48

Sorry I missed your post swiperfox.

I can't think of anything recent that might have triggered it off but we also argue alot quite loudly do you really think that can cause it?

I know he has become obssessed with dying and he begins to concentrate on his breathing when he starts to think about death in anyway. Could this be his problem?

I have tried to reassure him but he as behavioural problems so he thinks different from me.

This happened again last night but I managed to help him through this time.
What should I do?

swiperfox Fri 22-Apr-05 18:34:18

Hiya- sorry to hear your ds had another one. I thought it might be that we were scaring her with our arguing as it's like she's having a panic attack. Have you ever asked a doctor or health visitor about it? Has he ever blacked out?

MrsBigD Fri 22-Apr-05 19:05:39

swiperfox... my friends dd used to cry/scream until she passed out... so a friend recommended that she blow in her face to make her breath and it actually worked! Some sort of reflex I think

Not much help I know but may be worth a try?

sahara Fri 22-Apr-05 19:33:24

MrsBigD, Swiperfox. I have been doing the blowing in the face thing since each one of my kids was newborn as it also stops a child from chocking.(does work honest).
It's normal where I'm from (Morocco) but I find it is mostly something that works when they are younger.
I should take him to the doctors to see if they can help, I just thought panic attacks were just that, a panic attack, I am just realising how serious they can be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now