Talk

Advanced search

baby sign language how good is it?

(11 Posts)
charleepeters Wed 20-Apr-05 21:16:18

Hi was thinking of trying to teach ds sign language but i know nothing about it has anyone done it/ when do you start any books better thank others what age to start does it matter? any advice/experiences would be a great help ta x

charleepeters Wed 20-Apr-05 21:22:03

looking at books on amazon anyone have any recomendations or is ds (8 months) to old to learn?

dot1 Wed 20-Apr-05 21:56:13

I think he's possibly on the young side - or just right! Don't know much about it at all and haven't got any books, but have taught 1 year old ds a sign + word for food, which he takes great pleasure in doing especially in the morning when he's starving!! It's lovely to see him being really pleased that he's communicating - must teach him some more..!

charleepeters Wed 20-Apr-05 22:06:39

how do you do it do you point to the food/bottle then make the sign untill he learns or say the word whilst doing the sign, i would of thoguht he would have to see the item your refering to whilst saying the word and doing the sign i dunno any help?

Rarrie Thu 21-Apr-05 01:29:40

Linda what's her name recommends you start when the baby starts pointing. You can do it earlier than that, but the child won't respond... and the danger is you can give up.

I started at 7 months but my dd didn't sign back until 11. Next time, I'd start later.

For understanding the ethos behind it, Linda A's book is great. For actual signs, use either her baby board books and make up your own or Garcia's. My nursery do baby sign and they use Signalong, which is great. Book is £18 but you have to buy it from them.

HTH

babylily Thu 21-Apr-05 08:29:56

WE used 'sing and sign' - bought the dvd through their website.
Started at about 6 months, and I definitely think it helped dd's communication develop very quickly. You always say the word along with the sign. DD is now 22 months and still using many of the signs alongside the words(no/ more/ milk/ hot/duck/ bird) are the favourite signs.
We found the dvd easy to pick up on - essentially it is just adapted nursery songs, but it is definitely effective. I looked at books but it was much easier for us to pick up when we could see the signs in practice and in an entertaining way!
Hope this helps!

dot1 Thu 21-Apr-05 12:26:15

For food, I started saying "num, num" and things like "It's num num time" whilst doing a sign - fingers to my mouth. And telling him while he was eating that this was num num and doing the sign. Didn't take him long - he'd copy me at first, and then recently has started doing it before I do, when he's hungry!

debs26 Thu 21-Apr-05 12:28:54

it is brilliant. ds3 rarely gets frustrated because he feels he can communicate (even if he gets the sign wrong, we know he is after something). helpful link

dot1 Thu 21-Apr-05 12:52:38

what a fab website!! Am going to start teaching ds lots of new signs!

dyzzidi Thu 21-Apr-05 12:59:18

Sorry if this is the wrong place but babies obviously do pick up signs easily my niece aged 14 has taught her 15mth old brother to close his hands like prying to beg for things

When he wants something she says beg and he starts praying like a tiny madman then she give it to him. My sister, their mum is less than impressed but i am ashamed to say It really makes me laugh.

dyzzidi Thu 21-Apr-05 12:59:41

sorry that was praying not prying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now