Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hands over ears?

(10 Posts)
flic23 Wed 20-Apr-05 15:46:24

My 15 month old DS has just started putting his hands over his ears it is not a reaction to noise and he seems to do it if you pick him up when he doesnt want you to and is starting to tantrum. Just asking as i am getting paranoid and just wondered if his behavior sounded normal to anyone

flic23 Wed 20-Apr-05 16:02:33

bump

pania Sat 29-Sep-07 15:07:11

Bumping this as my 19 month old ds does this too!

startouchedtrinity Sat 29-Sep-07 15:10:08

My dd2 did this - later she moved to putting her fingers in her ears. For her it was sometimes a reaction to noise but was often what she would do in a situation she didn't like. She is now 3 and a half and has all but outgrown it. The best thing to do is ignore it.

law3 Sat 29-Sep-07 15:14:49

i would think it might be his way of telling you he doesnt want to be picked up, he cant communicate that to you yet, babies are very good at signs.

pania Sat 29-Sep-07 15:53:16

Thanks- he does tend to do it when I catch him doing something he knows he shouldn't, like climbing on the kitchen table. Not that I shout at him or anything!
We've just started a new playgroup, have been twice now and both times he did it when we went in, but only for a minute.
I suppose it's just an attempt to shut the world out a little bit.. anyway will keep ignoring it and I suppose it'll go away eventually.

figroll Sat 29-Sep-07 18:36:47

My dd1 iused to do this! I read this and had completely forgotten about it = she is 15 after all. She was quite shy and I think it was her way of giving herself a bit of comfort in a stressful situation. Suffice to say, it stopped an awfully long time ago and she is an extremely well adjusted 15 year old - works hard at school, has lots of friends and is a really pleasant companion. So don't worry - they have lots of phases at that age - my other daughter developed a stutter and a twitch! (All gone though now)

Ripeberry Sat 29-Sep-07 20:27:28

MY DD aged 2 does this, especially in the car when she does not like the music! grin.
Especially when my DH plays ABBA, DD got no taste.
AB

thelittleElf Sat 29-Sep-07 20:33:40

My nehew does this, but with him i think it's just that he's listening to the change in sound in his ears, if that makes any sense hmm

nappyaddict Wed 03-Oct-07 09:49:27

>> HIJACK <<

FIGROLL

are you coming to the xmas midlands party?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now