Talk

Advanced search

Hand flapping

(11 Posts)
lunavix Mon 18-Apr-05 19:46:40

Just wondering about how many others do this. Ds does quite badly when he's upset or angry, only stopping when I hold his hand or calm him down. He's a year old.

I know it can indicate SN, but I don't want to assume anything, just wondering how common it is, or if it's a phase.

purpleturtle Mon 18-Apr-05 19:54:52

Dd does it too. She's just 4, but has always done it. Generally when in situations she's uncomfortable with or frightened. Especially likely when faced with somebody in costume, or the threat of a large-scale game at church! Ds (2) also handflaps when toys are taken away from him. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Can be a useful indicator of their mood too!

darlingbud Mon 18-Apr-05 19:57:04

Yes dd (2.4) does it when starting a tantrum or if she is frustrated.

fairyfeet Wed 20-Apr-05 14:29:54

My three year old also hand flaps and has done for as long as I can remember. Only does it when she is upset. Usually when I say no to her! I must admit it's never particullarly bothered me and I just presummed it is her way of articulating her negative emotions.

Sure it will pass

fairyfeet Wed 20-Apr-05 14:29:56

My three year old also hand flaps and has done for as long as I can remember. Only does it when she is upset. Usually when I say no to her! I must admit it's never particullarly bothered me and I just presummed it is her way of articulating her negative emotions.

Sure it will pass

mogwai Wed 20-Apr-05 14:31:18

my 27 year old friend hand flaps. She's otherwise completely ok, if a little excitable

Evesmama Wed 20-Apr-05 14:33:06

thank god someone started this thread
i was worried too!

coppertop Wed 20-Apr-05 14:38:38

Handflapping is only really something to worry about if it's part of a bigger picture of something being wrong IYSWIM. If there are no other aspects of your child's behaviour that are troubling you then it's nothing to be concerned about.

My 2 boys still handflap, although ds1 does it very rarely now. They are autistic but the flapping was only ever a minor part of my concerns about them.

macwoozy Wed 20-Apr-05 14:45:17

My ds is also autistic and he's never handflapped!

Twiglett Wed 20-Apr-05 14:57:19

I think its quite common lunavix, cos the frustration has to go somewhere and hand flapping is where it goes , then it feels funny and they want to do it again

MistressMary Wed 20-Apr-05 15:26:34

Umm, I hand flap as does my 18mth old.
I think I'm okish?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now