Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for successful transition from cot to bed??!!

(13 Posts)
Mandymoo Sun 17-Apr-05 15:48:24

Hi DD is two and a quarter and will be going into a bed next week. Does anyone have any tips for making this change a relatively stress free one?! Anything would be helpful X

ambrosia Sun 17-Apr-05 16:16:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Peachyclair Sun 17-Apr-05 16:19:17

Don't treat it like a big deal. The more you worry, the more your little one will. Casually mention to dp in dd's hearing that dd is getting a big bed because you know she is a big girl and not a baby any more- believe me, she'll want to prove you right!

collision Sun 17-Apr-05 16:20:33

we didnt have a problem and didnt even mention it to ds as we didnt want to make a big deal of it. We put a mattress under the bed too so if he fell out he wouldnt hurt himself.

Lots of praise the next day and what a big boy he was and he never gets out. He is 3 now.

redsky Sun 17-Apr-05 16:21:46

ds was a bit iffy about the idea until I used a bed guard thingy which just gave him (and me) a bit of a sense of security against falling out accidentally. Think the 'not a big deal' approach has a lot going for it.

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 16:23:35

I'm a bit with Peachyclair - all my NCT friends fretted about it and I just didn't think about it as being a problem and luckily it wasn't. Moved ds1 when he was about 20 months as ds2 needed his cot! Moved ds2 this Jan and he was jus 2 cos we moved house and ds3 needed the cot!

Never had a problem really - they can get up a bit more really but if they are tired and normally good sleepers you'll probably find it fine!

Gobbledigook Sun 17-Apr-05 16:24:20

Never used a bedguard either - ds1 has never fallen out, ds2 fell out a couple of times but he was so near the ground he didn't do any damage!!

Peachyclair Sun 17-Apr-05 16:42:46

Two of my 3 have been Ok, nearing ds 3's turn soon. DS1 moved at 13.5 months due to imminent birth of sibling and was OK, I think he felt less 'caged in'. Certainly slept better afterwards.

lockets Sun 17-Apr-05 16:46:43

Message withdrawn

pixel Tue 19-Apr-05 00:46:32

One day we just said that we were going to 'let' dd sleep in the big bed like we were doing her a huge favour! That seemed to make her quite keen!

QueenEagle Tue 19-Apr-05 00:52:12

Let her choose a new duvet cover. Go up to look at the bed a couple times in the day and say where's your big bed? Oh lucky you, you'll be able to sleep in it tonight.

Make it exciting, like a treat, she'll love it.

Mandymoo Sun 24-Apr-05 22:04:31

Well DD had first night in her bed tonight!! Bless her. She looked so small in her new bed! ANyway, after an hour of pushing the boundries a bit (ie, realising she can actually escape now!!) she finally settled with relatively little fuss. Thanks for all your excellent advice ladies - i really appreiciate it XXX

Mandymoo Mon 25-Apr-05 20:50:27

Hi
2nd night of DD being in bed - any advice on keeping her there???!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now