Talk

Advanced search

HELP! Suggestions for bored, whining 13 month-old?!!

(6 Posts)
Brozzer Sat 16-Apr-05 21:52:39

Anyone got any great ideas for entertaining a 13-month old boy (indoors?) He's got an attention span of 10 seconds and just wants to trash everything. I'd really appreciate any tried and tested activities that other mums can recommend? ps Christ it's hard work innit?

pixiefish Sat 16-Apr-05 22:32:16

A sling on your back while you do housework etc really helps (even if he is walking as it stops him whining when he's bored ) plus you'll talk and sing to him more.

Play with him and his toys, sing to him, constantly talk to him, walks out (even if to the local shop)

ionesmum Sat 16-Apr-05 22:46:34

You could try sfae water play. Put about an inch of water in a washing up bowl or roasting tin and put it on the floor. Let him sit and splash in it maybe with some cups or similar. It will be messy but fun! Don't leave him for a second though as children can drown in very little water.

Also music, singing, dancing - can you face doing action songs?

ionesmum Sat 16-Apr-05 22:46:55

Sorry, safe water play

treacletart Sat 16-Apr-05 22:57:43

Let him busy himself in the kitchen with his own drawer full of lots of plastic cups, plates, spoons, bits and bobs.

A little wooden train set(must include a bridge or tunnel of some sort) would be money well spent - mine (now 21m) spends AGES with his and has done from about your DS' age I think.

Aquadraw is good

Our Ds seemed to lengthen his attention span when we got him a little table and chair set from Ikea. Apart from mealtimes of course, he often takes things over to it to play with them.

ionesmum Sat 16-Apr-05 23:09:45

Also try cereal instead of water - put something like Rice Krispies in a roasting tin or similar and let him pour it, explore it etc - it doesn't matter if he eats it! Put down a sheet or newspaper though!!!!

Also treasure baskets - similar to the kitchen drawer idea. Gather together a collection of stuff and put in a basket. For example, you might want to put in different fabrics, or objects made from natural materials. Make sure everything is safe - it should be too big to pass down the middle of a loo roll - and don't leave him unattended as he explores everything.

'Where's Mummy?' Sit on the floor or bed. Put a towel or blanket over your head and say, 'Where's mummy?' and then let ds pull off the blanket and find you. Repeat until ds gets bored! My two love this and my three year old still plays it from time to time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now