Talk

Advanced search

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

(14 Posts)
Hausfrau Fri 15-Apr-05 09:39:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

saintshar Fri 15-Apr-05 09:44:29

Have you got a high chair? If I was you I would strap him in that and put him in front of the T.V, just so you can have a minute!

sacha3taylor Fri 15-Apr-05 09:45:32

Whats the weather like?

Can you take him too a park and just let him run wild?

motherinferior Fri 15-Apr-05 09:45:39

You CANNOT swop him for DD2. She is fast behind him in the buggery stakes, so to speak.

You back on email soon, flower?

Hausfrau Fri 15-Apr-05 09:45:56

Hausfrau Fri 15-Apr-05 09:47:30

sacha3taylor Fri 15-Apr-05 09:47:37

Bribery?

you can have ice-cream/sweeties if your good for an hour.

Hausfrau Fri 15-Apr-05 09:49:05

Tiggus Fri 15-Apr-05 09:51:53

My DS has just learn that word, one of his first "Bi-bey!!!" ..... hmmm !!

MrsWood Fri 15-Apr-05 11:23:31

Does he like messy stuff? If so, put an old sheet across the floor (or on coffee table if decent size) and let him do colouring with washable markers,playdough creations, sticking, gluing, cut out his favorite caracters from magazines and maybe some of his cute photos (that you can reproduce later on!) and make a collage or something - last night we did one and it was teletubbyland with my daughter's head in the sun (like that baby in teletubbies). My daughter is 2 in July also, and she loves this kind of fun - we do it on bath days so we can wash it all off. And it usually keeps her busy for at least 30-45 mins. Does he enjoy being in the kitchen with you? You can make some chocolate crispies cakes - takes no time at all, and there is no real cooking involved (melt chocolate in microwave, mix it with crispies and let cool - that's that!). Otherwise, I'd probably suggest park as well. Have you got a playcentre near you? We quite often take our dd there to let off steam as everything's padded so climbing frames are safe. You can therefore sit down, have a nice drink and relax a little as well.

humphrey Fri 15-Apr-05 14:44:44

I have a dd just like this who is also 2 in July. She gets loose out of the car seat no matter how tight you do it up!!. We had to get rid of the highchair and booster seat as she kept climbing out, the safety gate on the stairs had to go as she was climbing up it and that would have been far more dangerous had she gone over that. She too has a thing about climbing up and turning the taps on she also likes standing in the dogs water bowl just before we are due to go anywhere. She does like though to wash the pots with a chair up to the sink, I give her plastic plates, cups and things she makes it quite wet all around but a towel will wipe that up, it normally amuses her for 20mins while I get things done downstairs. She has a slide in the garden which she loves going on lots and she likes digging which again keeps her amused while I am gardening. The sandpit amuses her for about 20mins as well even in this cold weather I just wrap her up warm. We go to the park once a day so she can climb on the climbing frames there, but I do stand very close as she does like to climb up things that are far too old for her. I find she is better if there are other children to play with so we go to a toddler group once a week and she can run round there and get rid of some energy. I think it is about keeping them active and giving them something to think about. dd is currently looking at old catalogues which amuses her and keeps her quite as she can tear them up.Also we give her things like old cameras that are no longer working and old remote controls and mobiles which give her something to fiddle with. Swimming is good as well if you can find some classes (all part of the water obsession) my dd loves jumping in off the side. She loves to help cook even if it is just giving her a bowl and putting flour and water in for her to play with while I cook. Playdough and cookie cookers keep her amused for a bit. Hope some of this helps as know how you feel. Got to go now as she is emptying the bin out and rummaging!!

vwvic Fri 15-Apr-05 15:03:26

Sympathies- dd2 was just like this! She could open every child lock on the market by the time she was 14 months old. she could get out of every restriant I could buy. The harness that came with a set of reins from mothercare was the best we found, as it lasted aboout a month before she worked out how to undo it. And it fastened at the vback, and was attached to whatever at the side, very securely. Her obsession was the squirty dispenser on cleaning products etc. Very nasty as hse used to look at the nozzle to watch it come out.

I felt like the worst mother in the world, and totally unable to cope. However, onto helpful stuff. My strategy was to exhaust her. I found that if she didn't walk for at least a mile a day, she was unbearable. Ditto all suggestions for parks and climbing frames- but she had to walk there first!

Thankfully, over the course of about a month when she was about 2.6, she became much more chilled out. She can still out walk/climb/ be generally more active than dd1 who is 6 though!

HappyDaddy Fri 15-Apr-05 15:46:15

My brother was like this. My mum had a thick rope with a padlock on the fridge. So he just broke the fridge door! He used to rock things until they broke.

I can't wait til dd gets to that stage

pabla Sat 16-Apr-05 13:58:33

When we replaced our internal doors a few years ago, we got doorknobs rather than handles fitted. They have always been a bit stiff to turn but it is great because the ds's (13 months and 3.9) can't open them so bathroom, kitchen, etc can be secured. Also when ds1 is put in his room when he starts a tantrum, he can't escape. If you don't want to go to the trouble of replacing door handles, how about stairgates in the kitchen and bathroom doorways?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: