Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

when do they start doing those "once-a-week" poos?

(15 Posts)
fruitful Tue 12-Apr-05 17:04:25

DS is 8 weeks. Up till now every nappy has had a little poo in it (and a couple of big ones a day). Today, wet nappies all day, no poos. Is this normal? He keeps trying to go.

I remember dd doing none for days and getting grumpier and grumpier and then having an explosion... Do they all do that? When does it start?

bundle Tue 12-Apr-05 17:05:37

are you breastfeeding? i don't remember dd1 or dd2 going for days without ...sometimes dd1 had up to 10 in a day

FastasleepTheInsomniac Tue 12-Apr-05 17:06:08

Mine does two + a day every day usually about 3/4 he's nearly 14 months now!

fruitful Tue 12-Apr-05 17:21:24

DD was breastfed. She went back to going daily once she was on solids, I think.

DS is bottlefed - a whole new learning experience. I thought I'd know what I was doing with this baby, but no! Anyway - do bottle fed babies get constipated? What do I do - feed him a prune?

fruitful Tue 12-Apr-05 17:21:45

The prune bit was a joke. Please don't shoot me.

iota Tue 12-Apr-05 17:25:17

don't joke - one of my friend did feed her baby diluted prune juice because he was constipated - I think the HV recommended it.

iota Tue 12-Apr-05 17:26:09

and without wishing to start a war, yes bottlefed babies do seem to get constipated more frequently than breastfed

kama Tue 12-Apr-05 17:35:06

Message withdrawn

katylou25 Tue 12-Apr-05 17:40:58

my ds was breast fed for 1st 6 weeks and is now bottle fed (11 weeks) but has always had a tendancy to only go every couple of days and when he goes boy does he go!!! Think it depends on the individual baby rather than how hes fed etc.

bunny2 Tue 12-Apr-05 20:28:13

when we switched to formula, dd did become constipated and we were advised by hv to give a little prune juice in water. It worked well and there have been no apparent side-effects (she is now 19 wks).

fruitful Tue 12-Apr-05 21:06:53

I don't really want to give him anything other than milk - he's only 8 weeks.

Huge poo this evening, so I guess maybe he's just stopping pooing constantly (hooray).

mummylonglegs Wed 13-Apr-05 09:40:54

I b/f dd and she'd sometimes go 2 or 3 days without a poo. At most she did 1 a day. But that wasn't because she was constipated, a b/f councillor told me it's because they have little waste to pass out from breast milk so can often tend to do lots of small ones or infrequent larger ones.

I don't know anything about formula I'm afraid except I have heard it can lead to a bit of constipation.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 13-Apr-05 09:43:57

It depends on the baby - DS1 and DS2 were both breastfed, and DS1 never went a day without pooing, but DS2 often goes a few days, up to seven, I think. DS2 is fatter, so it's not that he's not eating enough.

clary Wed 13-Apr-05 15:15:53

kama, yes my ds1 used to pooh about once a week and he was breastfed. dd was the opposite which just shows they are all different!

chipmonkey Wed 13-Apr-05 15:48:56

Kama, my ds3 is 15 weeks but should be only 8 weeks. up to 2 weeks ago he did several poos a day, now he does one HUGE one every 3-5 days, very messy! It is very unlikely that a breastfed baby would be constipated and so long as they have wet nappies and are gaining weight there is nothing to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now