Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

crying while she poos

(13 Posts)
mckenzie Mon 11-Apr-05 10:55:36

DD is nearly 5 weeks old and cries while she does a poo. The poo is failry loose, not a lump at all and it probably takes her about 10 minutes from start to finish. She use to do thsi when she was younger but then she went onto Colief for a while and it stopped and her poos became very very losse and watery. Now we no longer use the colief, she's started to have this problem again.
Could it still be because her stomach muscles aren't mature enough to cope with the pushing (as was adviced by HV when it first happened)?

Has anyone else experinced this? Any advice?
She's happy in every other way.

mckenzie Mon 11-Apr-05 12:36:59

bump

mckenzie Mon 11-Apr-05 17:32:55

bump again - please someone must have some comment/advice, please.

mckenzie Mon 11-Apr-05 17:49:34

and she's just done another poo now without any noise whatsoever so it seems to be just the poo that she does mid-morning - very strange.

ponygirl Mon 11-Apr-05 18:22:49

Hi Mckenzie! I saw this this morning but didn't haven't anything helpful to suggest, so didn't post. Don't want you to feel ignored though! Still don't have anything helpful, other than to suggest seeing your gp? Your HV may well be right, but that's not very reassuring, is it? I hope you get some advice and help soon!

mckenzie Mon 11-Apr-05 19:45:24

thanks Ponygirl. lets hope an evening mumsnetter knows something.

saadia Mon 11-Apr-05 20:27:46

When my ds2 was a few weeks old, he really struggled to get his poos out, and like your dd's, they didn't seem constipated. He didn't cry he just strained a lot. My dh thought it helped to hold him facing forward and in a sitting position with one hand across his chest and the other underneath his bottom. I don't know if it actually made any difference though, but he grew out of it pretty soon. I can only think that your HV must be right, and hopefully your dd will also grow out of it as well.

Slave2Babe Mon 11-Apr-05 20:53:11

DD is nearly six months and she sometimes seems to be in distress when she poos. She has never been constipated and poos are always watery. It is now put down to teething and acidy poos.

I remember her being worse and crying as if in pain when she was quite young. It soon settled down. We found it helped if DD was standing.

Lonelymum Mon 11-Apr-05 20:56:13

I know I read once that it is not a problem if a baby goes red in the face and strains a lot before doing a poo as long as the poo itself is soft. Perhaps it is OK to cry doing one too as long as you can not see a problem with what comes out. Your HV would be the person to check this with.

mckenzie Mon 11-Apr-05 21:22:15

thanks guys. I'm taking DD to the clinic tomorrow to double check. Funny that the afternoon poo, which looked the same to me, caused her no distress at all.

mckenzie Tue 12-Apr-05 15:15:05

well the HV was rather blase about it, said it was possibly due to her stomach muscles not being strong enough but was very much not too concerned. Not sure whether to take comfort from that or not really.

saadia Wed 13-Apr-05 09:11:30

If the HV isn't concerned, then it most probably isn't serious, but then again if ds gets really distressed, perhaps see the GP as well.

Catbert Wed 13-Apr-05 09:13:49

I think lots of babies cry when they poo...

Esp. when v. small!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now