Talk

Advanced search

Do I force DS1 (8) to join an after school club even though he stubbornly refuses?

(11 Posts)
merlin Mon 09-Feb-09 21:57:57

He does one activity at mo (swimming) and I think it would be really good for him to do something else as well - preferably a team based thing.

But he just doesn't want to know - not sure if it's shyness, fear of the unknown, not wanting to make a fool of himself - or all of the above! Have tried to get him to go to things before with a friend but he just refuses.

They are starting an Art Club which I know he would love - he is always drawing - but when I told him about it I got the usual answer - NO! Also basketball - which he does in PE and really enjoys - but again NO!

Am tempted to put his name down for the Art Club (it's free grin) and see what happens when the day arrives.

Or do I just leave him alone and hope that one day he changes his mind? What would you do? I just worry that he is missing out.

Sorry for the ramble!!!

merlin Mon 09-Feb-09 22:11:22

anyone got a view?

ChasingSquirrels Mon 09-Feb-09 22:12:35

I would let him be, encourage and suggest - but let him choose.

merlin Mon 09-Feb-09 22:15:20

Thank you Squirrels. Yes, I tend to agree! After all I can hardly drag him in there can I? Just very frustrating when his friends are all doing things!

emanon Mon 09-Feb-09 22:17:02

I have an 8 year old son who is just the same and hates to try anything new. It is very frustrating because very often when he actually does something he enjoys it. At times I do push him into things and at other times I don't feel I should make him. I always read through the list of after school clubs with him and it's always no, no, no. Unfortunately, I don't like trying new things so I think I know where he gets it from. Sorry, probably not a lot of help :-)

ChasingSquirrels Mon 09-Feb-09 22:17:56

frustrating - yes. But probably more frustrating to be made to do it, when you have been made to be in school all day.
Would he be more interested in something at the weekend?

edam Mon 09-Feb-09 22:21:04

Squirrels is making sense. Am struck by her point about being forced to be in school all day and then forced into after-school stuff. Has never occurred to me on these threads before but I think she's onto something there.

All you can do is offer him opportunities, you can't make him enjoy things just because you think he should.

merlin Mon 09-Feb-09 22:21:45

Good point - hadn't thought of it like that.

But, have suggested gymnastics, football, beavers - all outside of school - and with friends but the answer is still the same - NO!!

merlin Mon 09-Feb-09 22:22:48

xPOST - Edam.

Right then, I promise I won't force him. Will make sure he knows what he could do if he wants and leave it at that!

edam Mon 09-Feb-09 22:38:50

Don't borrow trouble - a couple of years from now he might really get into teams/art/whatever and you'll be constantly ferrying him around/washing kit/finding equipment and look back fondly on these days!

Children need the opportunity to relax and just be (even being bored is good for them). I do think we have all started to get a bit over-enthusiastic wrt after-school stuff.

pointydog Mon 09-Feb-09 22:44:54

No, of course don't force him. These things are meant to be fun. Let him choose for himself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: