Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

No noise!!

(6 Posts)
evansmummy Thu 07-Apr-05 20:10:28

My ds is now 16 weeks and hardly ever makes any noise, apart from crying of course! I keep reading that babies should be gurgling, laughing and cooing by now, and he doesn't! He does make little noises, almost like humming, but that's it. My dh and I are from two different countires, so speak two differnt languages to our son. Would this make any difference? Is he behind in his development if he's not gurgling/cooing or laughing by now? Sorry, it's propbably just 1st time mum worries, but would like your opinions.

mummytosteven Thu 07-Apr-05 20:11:45

trying to remember that far back, but I don't think that DS was gurgling/cooing/laughing as early as 16 weeks.

sleepymama Thu 07-Apr-05 20:21:08

Hi evansmummy - my ds is 17 weeks and he hardly ever coos/gurgles/laughs. He does blow a few rasberries now and again but thats about it.
I'm sure that babies start when they are good and ready . Try not to worry about it.
I also am talking to my son in two different languages. I myself was also bought up this way - seems to have done no harm. Can only enrich things I reckon.

evansmummy Fri 08-Apr-05 08:46:39

Thanks ladies. Just needed reassurance, I guess

Slave2Babe Fri 08-Apr-05 22:54:27

DD is now nearly 23 weeks. At 16 weeks she was making some noises but not every day. She would have different 'moods' and often quite happy just entertaining herself.

At about 20 weeks she suddenly got very vocal and appears to have conversations with all her soft toys!!

I know I'm still in the early days but i have learnt that they all take everything at their own pace - they're not given the manual to read when they're born!

I have read that different languages are actually very mentally stimulating to babies so I really dont think you are doing anything wrong!

Fran1 Fri 08-Apr-05 23:26:53

I seem to remember to get the slightest smile, or gurgle out of my dd took a whole lot of effort of singing, dancing and pulling funny faces. Only ever worked for dp he's obviously more entertaining than me

Are you aware though it is quite common for bilingual children to start speaking a bit later than monolingual children? Just thought i'd let you know, so you don't need to worry about this. The slight delay does absolutely no harm, in fact bilingualism is thought to enlarge the brain capacity and children's cognitive development. So you're son is a lucky boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now